? for poop engineers..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm learning there's lots of different terms for pipes in my current gig trying to move some utilities.

A new one for me, a roadway person, was an egg shaped brick Pipe!

isn't cylinder pipe kind of redundant?
not really it refers to the steel cylinder within the wall of the concrete pipe.

I'm learning there's lots of different terms for pipes in my current gig trying to move some utilities.

I believe you're referring to a brick arch pipe. The arch top is for efficiency for the masonry arch to carry the loads and the invert is radiused also to concentrate and promote flow during low flow conditions.

isn't cylinder pipe kind of redundant?
not really it refers to the steel cylinder within the wall of the concrete pipe.

I believe you're referring to a brick arch pipe. The arch top is for efficiency for the masonry arch to carry the loads and the invert is radiused also to concentrate and promote flow during low flow conditions.
so it's an upside down egg shaped brick pipe or am I reading that wrong?

Who's to say which side of an egg is upside down?

The large city that were working with, in their GIS records it is labeled as a brick egg shaped pipe LOL

I could go either way. The shape of the egg would depend on the crown radius versus the invert radius. Brick sewers that I have been in (yes I have been inside an active brick sewer) have a flatter bottom than the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that the pointy end would go down to "promote flow" since higher velocities are required for flowing the same volume through a smaller cross section.

I can't imagine that you want the poop to settle in low flow scenarios... :)

they think that the smaller portion of the egg is on the bottom.. to accommodate a normal flow, and then for when "**** gets real" it fills up the rest of the brick sewer.

It was built in 1900's.. I hope I am still involved in this job while its under construction, would like to actually see it in real life..

It acts like an arch which would have two footings to react the vertical loads. The invert is curved enough to keep the flow going. You really don't want to go inside a 100 year old sewer line if you don't have to.

Back