Fire on the USS Miami

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Never good on a submarine:

]KITTERY, Maine – Seven people were injured in a fire on a nuclear submarine at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard on Wednesday night.

The fire occurred in a forward compartment of the USS Miami SSN 755 that is primarily used for living areas and command and control spaces. The ship's reactor was not operating at the time and was reportedly not affected. Navy officials say it's too soon to tell if the $900 million submarine will be salvageable.

The fire was reported at 5:41 p.m. Wednesday, and was extinguished about 10 hours later at 3:48 a.m. on Thursday, according to the shipyard. The nuclear propulsion spaces were physically isolated early in the event from the forward compartment fire and remained safe and stable throughout the event.

Capt. Bryant Fuller, the shipyard's commander, said there were no weapons on board, and all personnel were accounted for.

http://portsmouth-nh...26pLid%3D163792

The arsonist was having a panic attack and wanted to leave work, so he set a nuclear sub on fire?! Good gosh.

The arsonist was having a panic attack and wanted to leave work, so he set a nuclear sub on fire?! Good gosh.

In fairness, he may have known that the system was offline. Then again, if he's stupid enough to pull this - twice - than he's stupid enough to not realize that starting a fire on a nuke sub is a bad idea. And no, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for him; I've had panic attacks at work, and not only did I not leave work early, I didn't even leave my cubicle.

He also injured seven people in the fire. I don't think he thought, "Is the system offline?" before he torched it. I've had panic attacks at work and I didn't set anything on fire.

He was a no load loser who deserves to spend the rest of his life in Leavenworth.

Back