Fellow Engineers, who have passed the PE exam, can you suggest me what you did different to pass the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for your wonderful feedback and tips.

Thank you Stephanie and Michael for sending your PE materials. I really appreciate your help. 

@sayed as an engineer I would hope you see the ethical dilemma presented by taking the PE exam in an area you are not practicing solely for the sake of passing the exam.
many states do not require a separate licensure to practice multiple disciplines.

I never heard about a license application (for a state that doesn't license by discipline) that requires one to take the exam in the area which you practice.

I also never heard of a licensed engineer having an ethical crisis over signing work he's qualified to do but haven't taken an arbitrary test for it. (Not that ncees tests magically qualifies someone to do work if you pass their tests)

Concur that many states do not require separate licensure to practice multiple disciplines and that the exam application does not require an engineer to take an exam in the area which you practice.  However, with that said, who determines what you are qualified and not qualified to do?  Also, it appears, from the dialog here, that many advocate taking the exam in a specific area because it's considered "easier" rather than because the individual practices or is qualified in that area.  Obviously passing the exam does not magically qualify someone to do the work, there are quite a few on here who are examples of that it appears.

I do not recommend you try taking a different flavor of the PE just to pass if you plan to practice something else.  That would be unethical.

I passed the MDM exam on the first try.  I only took the MERM and Shigley's Engineering Design books into the exam.  Use those books when working practice problems, and work lots of problems.  Tab the books for things you see recurring.  Become familiar with how to use the MERM, its a time saving tool when you get comfortable with it.

As far as practice problems I would encourage you to purchase the NCEES practices exam.  I thought it was extremely helpful to focus my preparation efforst.  

Also give yourself at least 6 months of study time before taking the exam.  

Studied the MERM extensively over a 3 months span leading up to the exam, worked about every example problem in it, front-to-back. Also, and I think this was critical, tabbed the living heck out of it. See pic below.

Tabs are color-coded to subjects. Also, made an index with more detailed descriptions and color codes to match my tabs.

This really is the secret to my success. MERM covered over 90% of the exam and was my primary resource.

MERM tabs-small pic.png

My biggest piece of advise would be to take a prep course, like Testmasters.  I found it extremely cumbersome to try and study the PPI practice problems and the Six Minute Solutions.  These questions go into WAAAY more detail than the test questions do which will actually cause you to overthink each problem.  The worst thing you can do on this exam is overthink the problems.  The questions are pretty straightforward and if you've practiced enough, you should be able to spot how to work the problem very quickly.  I studied here and there for a couple hours/day about 2-3 days per week the 3 months leading up to the exam.  The 6 weeks prior to the exam I started a prep course and that is when I really buckled down.  After every session I would go home and work the example problems and summarize that day's topics + read up on the next day's topics.  I would spend the days between training going back over all this info and doing the practice exams.  

Make a summary/conversion sheet out of computer paper and put it somewhere easily accessible.  I put mine in the front of my reference binder and it was probably 4 pages total (front only).  These included equations for efficiency of different machines, generic markups for the power cycles, conversions (i.e., kW to Btu/hr, hp to kW, CFS to gpm, etc.).  This will speed up most of the process of getting to the answer.

Prep courses are best in my opinion because they prepare you MENTALLY for the exam.  They also give you lots of tips that have helped lots of people, like myself, pass the exam with good grades.  I took the Testmasters course for TFS and I passed the October 2018 PE with a score of 85.  

I would also google "best foods to help your brain during tests" or something like that.  I bought a lot of these foods and ate them at the lunch break.  It really helped me in the afternoon portion.

Get a motel close to the exam site the night before (unless you live very close).  This will help you in the event your car magically doesn't start the next morning.

Take $50 cash money.  DO NOT just show up with a debit/credit card.

Tabulate your books and be familiar with them.  I can't stress this enough.  You must be familiar with your books.  Know where every equation is that you will need.  If it's one single equation/conversion in a section, just add it to your summary sheet.  Don't waste your time flipping through books looking for one thing.  Use large enough tabs that you can easily read the section/item you are tabbing.  Don't use the tiny tabs that you can barely write on.

Books I used:

MERM - tabulate this bad boy as much as you have to but only tabulate the items you need for your exam.  Don't tabulate everything.

Pressure Vessel Handbook (14th ed. Megysey)

Fluid Mechanics (2nd ed. Cengel/Cimbala)

Heat and Mass Transfer (4th ed. Cengel/Ghajar)

Thermodynamics (6th ed. Cengel/Boles)

Note, I said the above are the books I used.  I took in a couple more that I did not need.  One I didn't use was the Machinery's Handbook (29th ed.) from Industrial Press which some say you need and some don't.  I personally didn't use it for the exam, but I did find it helpful for a few of the NCEES practice exam problems.  My point is, it's better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

Lastly, this is my most important piece of advice.  Take the last day off before the exam and just chill.  If you don't know it by now, you won't know it during the test.  Enjoy your day doing something you like (but nothing dangerous, it would suck to be admitted to the hospital the day before the exam) or visit with family.  I personally spent the morning with my wife and son enjoying playing with them and after lunch I drove to the motel and watched TV, went to a good dinner, drove around the exam site area to get familiar with it, and just relaxed.  

Also, I'm not some hippie, feel good person, but it helped me tremendously to believe I was prepared and believe I did well.  I didn't feel like I did well after the test, of course, but I believe that mental preparation can determine your outcome.  

That's ^ one approach but I have a distaste for engineers taking the exam in disciplines they don't practice because the perception is the exam is easier.
I agree completely.  The purpose of this exam is to test your knowledge of your area of expertise.  How would you feel if you went to a cardiologist who was given his license because passed an exam over podiatry?  You definitely wouldn't feel comfortable having him slice you open and doing surgery.

I personally don't like that engineers are able to take an exam outside of their area of expertise.  With that being said, if you're just a super well-rounded engineer who remembers everything from college and you can implement that knowledge into any situation, go for it, but most of us are not that way.  We get a job after school and we spend our 4-5 years working as an EIT in some specialty.  

Back