FE/PE application experience/summary section reccomendations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amoderski

Reaction score
Recently relocated to CO from NJ and currently preparing to sit for both the FE and PE exam.

Q1: I worked for a water/ww/reuse consulting firm for 4 years 1 month in NJ. Since all this experience is with ONE company (but three title changes) on my PE application for the experience / summary section, should this be listed as individual titles/roles (ie/ project engineer II, project engineer I, senior project engineer II) or just project engineer?

Q2: For the experience / summary section, how many individuals are typically required/submitted for verification? Can i just get one approval from the director of engineering or do I need my direct supervisor to recommend me based on my position title?

Q3: Since all my experience is out of state, will this hinder my application processing time?

I am preparing to take the FE and PE in April (pending board approval) and am currently studying for both. Any additional information/experience would be welcome.

A1: I have the similar stiuation that I work for the same company but in different section. I think as long as you meet your 4 years requirement and this doesn't matter. By the way, I took FE in NY and took my PE in CA.

A2: Depends on your states.

A3: I have 1 reference in NJ and 4 references from NY. I apply in CA.....So don't worry.

Recently relocated to CO from NJ and currently preparing to sit for both the FE and PE exam.
Q1: I worked for a water/ww/reuse consulting firm for 4 years 1 month in NJ. Since all this experience is with ONE company (but three title changes) on my PE application for the experience / summary section, should this be listed as individual titles/roles (ie/ project engineer II, project engineer I, senior project engineer II) or just project engineer?

Q2: For the experience / summary section, how many individuals are typically required/submitted for verification? Can i just get one approval from the director of engineering or do I need my direct supervisor to recommend me based on my position title?

Q3: Since all my experience is out of state, will this hinder my application processing time?

I am preparing to take the FE and PE in April (pending board approval) and am currently studying for both. Any additional information/experience would be welcome.

How are you taking both the FE AND PE in April? Wouldn't you have to take the FE in April and PE the following October?

Even if you are allowed to do this by your state, I'm not sure I would WANT to. That is an insane amount of studying for two different types of tests.... I don't think you can properly focus on either if you are studying for both. Just my opinion...

How are you taking both the FE AND PE in April? Wouldn't you have to take the FE in April and PE the following October? Even if you are allowed to do this by your state, I'm not sure I would WANT to. That is an insane amount of studying for two different types of tests.... I don't think you can properly focus on either if you are studying for both. Just my opinion...

I think one of my supervisor told me before that he take his PE on Friday and took his FE on Saturday (next day). I think you need to have a special people with higher advance creit reference to recommand you (I don't know their requirement in detal). However, this is take place in NY few years ago (I don't know if they change reule or not) and better to ask your board before you take any action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can people pass PE but fail the FE?
I took FE in April and PE in October....LA rules state that the the FE or a waiver is required in order to be eligible for the PE....why take the FE if you can get a waiver? I wish I would have tried for the waiver. It would have saved a few headaches.

Back