FE-EIT Exam! your advice please

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks guys for your info. I do use NCEES formula book along side with FERM...

I would suggest taking the general in the PM. I know that it is very broad, but like previous posts have said, its the same topics as the morning. Once you start hitting the specific depths, your study area gets huge. I took the general and did fine, just do lots of practice tests (you can find them from anyone, "the other board",Kaplan,Testmasters etc), to evaluate your areas to concentrate on. Either way I wouldnt start studying until around June or so. Your mind gets burned out eventually on all this stuff.

Many great tips here from those who have accomplished what some of us are setting out to do (pass the f'n FE)

Thanx all - now i'm leaning more towards taking the general depth instead of the civil - it seems counter intuitive, but some great points on why it makes sense here.

Here is my experience. YMMV.

I am electrical and I took the electrical PM. No matter what PM you pick you want to NAIL THE AM. Because, at least for me, the PM was as hard or harder than the PE exam (I passed both). I'd be really surprised if I got over 50% in the PM. Like I said, YMMV.

Is that so, hmmm. right now I just want to finish first the FERM and if I do finish it ahead of time I'll take a look on my DS. And decide atleast 2mos before the exam on whatever is better for me. I'm just afraid that taking the FE in the PM would reveal some of my weak spots. But it do depend on my pacing, if I dont have enough time for an in-depth study for civil I would just concentrate on FE.

Is that so, hmmm. right now I just want to finish first the FERM and if I do finish it ahead of time I'll take a look on my DS. And decide atleast 2mos before the exam on whatever is better for me. I'm just afraid that taking the FE in the PM would reveal some of my weak spots. But it do depend on my pacing, if I dont have enough time for an in-depth study for civil I would just concentrate on FE.
Yes, the AM is easy but it is all about speed.

Here is my experience. YMMV.I am electrical and I took the electrical PM. No matter what PM you pick you want to NAIL THE AM. Because, at least for me, the PM was as hard or harder than the PE exam (I passed both). I'd be really surprised if I got over 50% in the PM. Like I said, YMMV.
I whole heartedly agree. I FE afternoon was a lot harder for me than the PE. I don't think I finished an entire problem set on the FE... need to get questions 1-3 right inorder to correctly answer questions 4-6...whereas the PE each problem is independent from each other.

My only saving grace was probably the math and chemistry on the morning portion of the FE.

Here is my experience. YMMV.
:blink: Sorry, not getting the acronym - :dunno:

Here's a question for you FE vets: One of my profs stands by the axiom "when in doubt, Charley out"

so, like for you snickered, struggling thru some of the prob sets as you mentioned, did you use a method to throwing down guesses, or did you use the choice 'c' approach. Another of my profs somewhere used the term 'WAG's for what many students probably employed: wild-ass guesses -

:blink: Sorry, not getting the acronym - :dunno: Here's a question for you FE vets: One of my profs stands by the axiom "when in doubt, Charley out"

so, like for you snickered, struggling thru some of the prob sets as you mentioned, did you use a method to throwing down guesses, or did you use the choice 'c' approach. Another of my profs somewhere used the term 'WAG's for what many students probably employed: wild-ass guesses -

Yeah when you just flat out don't know the answer, eliminate the answers that can't work, and then just guess.

:blink: Sorry, not getting the acronym - :dunno: Here's a question for you FE vets: One of my profs stands by the axiom "when in doubt, Charley out"

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Meaning you may not feel the same way.

I took a few review courses at my school, and browsed through the FE formula book (the one you can use during the test). Then I took the General-General test, and I was VERY drunk for the afternoon section (it was a tradition to have a liquid lunch during the FE). And I still passed. Not sure how, but I did.

If you are just coming out of school, and you did reasonably well in general engineering courses, I'd say you don't have much to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ :beerchug:

I'm taking the FS this April, and have a feeling that most of my group will be doing that at lunch, and then moreso after test. I'll have to take an El Paso on killing brain cells on test day (well maybe after) -

I've excelled @ pretty much all the math & engineering specific courses - but sheez, that FERM has sections in there that puts the fear in me. I just need to get this FS test done, so i can begin to wrap my head around the FE material.

It really just underscores the importance of the AM portion of the exam. I couldn't tell you the difficulty of the afternoon part if I tried...cause I don't remember it. I'm told that I told my buddy that sat next to me that I couldn't read the questions right after lunch.

That definitely wasn't one of the smartest things I've ever done, but it all worked out in the end.

Gathering and reading from other post related to this, I have come up with an idea by doing it the other way around.

FE/EIT preparing for PM Discipline Specific more on one's discipline or expertise on PM subjects, Math, Fluids and Eng Mechnaics, rather than studying on subjects not found during their BS Degrees like Bio, Computer, Mat prop, etc.

Has anybody here experience this way and come up better?

I went the General AM/General PM route because I didn't start studying until a week or two before the exam, and it was the least amount of material to cover. Stupid, I know, but I actually ended up passing. I am less confident that I would have passed taking the Civil PM because I didn't allot much time to study.

I used FERM and the NCEES reference manual. I would HIGHLY recommend getting both, but especially the reference manual since you'll have it with you in the exam. Being familiar with it saves time searching for equations and getting used to its nomenclature.

I went the General AM/General PM route because I didn't start studying until a week or two before the exam, and it was the least amount of material to cover. Stupid, I know, but I actually ended up passing. I am less confident that I would have passed taking the Civil PM because I didn't allot much time to study.
I used FERM and the NCEES reference manual. I would HIGHLY recommend getting both, but especially the reference manual since you'll have it with you in the exam. Being familiar with it saves time searching for equations and getting used to its nomenclature.

Ive heard of this before, what i wanted to know is preparing on PM Discipline Specif.

Back