Fatty cash worth longer commute??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To whore or not to whore -

• Stay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
UPDATE - for those that care anyway! ;)

I decided to decline the offer. I spoke to the gentlemen again and asked if he'd put his "promises" in writing. At that time (10 days ago) he agreed that this wouldn't be a problem. Long story short, no email or letter stating the agreement in black & white. Taking this and some other factors into consideration I thought it best to stay in my current job. Perhaps something better will come along.......until then I'll make the best of govie life!

At any rate, my thanks to all that offered the advice/suggestions.....I do appreciate it!

Thanks for the update. Too often, these hypothetical threads are started with no conclusion. It's nice to have closure on one of them.

Updated Update -

Well, what a difference a year makes.....

The same company contacted me again recently and inquired if I'd still be interested in a position. Given the current budget conundrum of PA (state employee), I thought it wouldn't hurt to talk to them. As it turns out, they offered me a Senior Engr. job (Chief still being available) at twice my current salary! I was reluctant last year to drive 1.5 hrs. one way and wouldn't consider moving. After carefully weighing my options, it seems best to make a move. I figure I'm still young (31) and desire to get some good industry experience while the coal market is still up. Plus, the location isn't so far removed that I can't come back on weekends (or even during the week if necessary for whatever).

Well, enough of the boredom..........again, thanks to all those that gave advice last year!!

Congrats! I've been doing 55 miles each way until I close on my house. The commute there isn't too bad, traffic in the evenings is what gets rough. Even then, it's not as bad as I'd anticipated, though satellite radio helps most of the time. Sure makes you really look forward to the weekends though.

Congrats. I have been doing 61 each way for 3 years now...

But we are in a recovery so things should be turning around soon...

I know I could make more $$ in big cities (Dallas, Austin, Houston) than I do here. But here, I have an easy 15 minute commute. Out the door at 5 every day, home at 5:15 every day. I learned years ago that traffic and I don't mix well. Just not worth getting home at 7pm every day (been there, done that). I see a lot of stars and hear the cows at night (out in the country).

I'll be one of those "poor" schmucks that don't have a flat screen TV or a new Merc, but I do get home to the wife, kids, and dog (he gets fed as soon as I get home, so he's the happiest one to see me) every day at 5:15. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I could make more $$ in big cities (Dallas, Austin, Houston) than I do here. But here, I have an easy 15 minute commute. Out the door at 5 every day, home at 5:15 every day. I learned years ago that traffic and I don't mix well. Just not worth getting home at 7pm every day (been there, done that). I see a lot of stars and hear the cows at night (out in the country).
I'll be one of those "poor" schmucks that don't have a flat screen TV or a new Merc, but I do get home to the wife, kids, and dog (he gets fed as soon as I get home, so he's the happiest one to see me) every day at 5:15. ;)

Hey now, I lived in Houston and my commute was about 90 seconds! Turn right out of complex, go through two traffic lights, turn left, and voila, you're at the garage!

Hey now, I lived in Houston and my commute was about 90 seconds! Turn right out of complex, go through two traffic lights, turn left, and voila, you're at the garage!
Yeah, but did you live in a nice house in a quiet neighborhood on a 3/4 acre lot with a shop out back? Or were you packed in to an apartment complex feeling the squeeze of the city? ;)

Yeah, but did you live in a nice house in a quiet neighborhood on a 3/4 acre lot with a shop out back? Or were you packed in to an apartment complex feeling the squeeze of the city? ;)

Half and half! Almost out towards Katy, but still in an apartment complex. If you had a job in that end of the city, the commute from Katy isn't bad at all. Anywhere else though...

For being single and having hobbies of drinking and Craigslist at the time, it was a great place for a young engineer! I'd probably do it again, but only if I were single.

Back