Fatty cash worth longer commute??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To whore or not to whore -

• Stay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know it's not a mamma joke, but this one comes to mind too:

So rppearso finds he's not able to make his fatty money as an engineer and decides to take up a job with the local sheriff's office. One day out on patrol he spots old Farmer Bill driving a little too fast through town, so he pulls him over. Halfway through his usual "do you know how fast you were going" speach, a handful of flies start to circle his head. As he's trying to swat them away, Farmer Bill comments, "Those are circle flies, can't get rid of them."

Rppearso responds, "What the hell's a circle fly?"

"Well, we call them circle flies because they are often seen circling the rear end of our horses."

"You calling me a horses ass?" proclaims rppearso

"No sir. But you can't trick those flies..."

I hang out with my fiance and plan our frugal wedding
Holy shit. Please don't procreate.
158816d1253138367-demotivational-posters-funny-but-sad-funny_motivational_posters_4.jpg

Back on topic, I would definately get those promises of your review/promotion/raise in writing like the others have said. Nothing would create a bad working environment like a renegged offer (on either side).

Personally, I use the drive to get myself mentally ready in the morning, then I use the drive home as a way to de-stress myself before I unload a bad day on my wife & kids. I found blasting some good music is a great way to take care of both (Sirius radio is awesome, btw).

When I was driving an hour each way, the Books-On-Tape rental service was my best friend. Satellite radio wasn't available back then. :eek:ld-025:

My advice would be to stick with the government job, but it all depends on a number of things. For instance, have you ever worked for private industry? If not, it's very good to get some private industry experience under your belt. I know only a handful (probably only 3) of career government engineers I respect. All the others who have earned my respect spent several years in the private sector first.

Second, how secure is your government job? Federal or State? Mining regulation? I see a bigger budget crunch ahead than even the current fiasco, and in my opinion, any job decision should rest more on how long that particular job/agency may be around , whether it is federal, state, or local. There are so many variables right now, it's just crazy. That said, if your answer is "my government job is secure", I would strongly consider staying in it. You're more likely to see a raise in a government job these days, although I fear that everyone is in for an "adjustment" to their salaries over the next decade or so... but the biggie is that an "adjustment" in the private sector is often in the form of losing your job.

With that in mind I voted "stay", but it's your decision to make, not any of ours. However, a stint in the private sector would be very good for you if you haven't done it before, and if you think the company you're considering is going to be around long enough to make it worth your while. (However, I'm not sure it's worth the commute just to try out the private sector).

Oh, and I wouldn't ask for the future promotion thing in writing - that's an awfully tough request to make of someone who wants to hire you at a lower level. Promotions depend on so many things. Just take it at face value - if the guy likes you and you work out, you will be considered for the position. No guarantees, just a possible path for promotion. You'll probably just piss him off if you come off as "demanding". My opinion only...

I don't think I've seen is whether or not you are married/have kids. To me, that makes a huge difference when you are talking about a commute that is >1 hour. To me, I don't think it would be worth it because I already don't get to see my son that much during the week anyway and with a 1 hour commute I would only get to be with him about 30 minutes to an hour before he went to bed, so that wouldn't work. But like Dleg said, this is assuming your current job is secure. If you feel like it might not be, then the change in job might be worth it. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

:2cents:

All -

Thanks very much for the input to this point. I'll try to answer a couple of questions.........

I work for a state regulatory agency and I'm not quite sure how "secure" it is. For instance, you may have heard the woes of PA budget problems (like they can't seem to pass one on time for the past 7 years). Also, since obtaining the PE, I'm in the works for a 9% promotion w/the state, HOWEVER; I'd now be considered management (tho have no direct reports) and their (management) pay has been frozen since 2008 and will likely to be froze until next contract (FY 11-12). I would miss out on the remaining 6.25% pay increases due to rank and file. Also, there is not much hope for the next contract to be any better (ex. reduce pension formula, increase health care contribution, modest pay increases if any).

Conversely, the operator tells me (in addition to the promotions, etc.) that employees receive montly bonuses and yearly raises (last year 5% I believe).

In addition, if I look ahead 5 years in the future at my agency there will be only 2 employees left after retirement, me and another guy. That will create one more position for me to advance to and that will be it (unless I get politically connected)! So, if the current hiring freeze continues, the support services of the agency may just dissolve through attrition (not sure, just me being paranoid).

Again, looking at the company, 5 years down the road I stand to advance beyond the Chief Engr. into VP of Engr. (guy that interviewed me) and quite possibley into Manager of mines. Tho, I doubt I'll still have an 8 hr. day at that point!

I did spend time in industry, tho abbreviated (1 year). I worked in production so I gained 0 engineering experience. That is why I considered moving into the private sector, to gain that valuable experience that could assist me in obtaining an even better job in the future (if I so choose). Again, as I already mentioned, the longer I stay a govie the less likely someone in industry will want to hire me for the "ineptitude stigma".

BUT, I do enjoy the time off and my short commute (especially in winter). And it is a struggle to determine if I want to give up the simple things for $$$ and prestige!

That being said, this most recent tragedy in WVa has somewhat reaffirmed to me why I choose to be a state regulator focused on miners safety.

Again, as I already mentioned, the longer I stay a govie the less likely someone in industry will want to hire me for the "ineptitude stigma".
I was faced with nearly the same thing when I left the utility to work for an AE. If I had stayed where I was much longer, making the leap to this side of the fence would have been much harder. As it was, I had to resign without a job lined up since there was a gentleman's agreement (illegal) between the utility and the AE's. Being single at the time, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Had I been married with a kid back then, I'd probably be in operations at that same plant to this day.

"BUT, I do enjoy the time off and my short commute (especially in winter). And it is a struggle to determine if I want to give up the simple things for $$$ and prestige!"

This is basicly all I was trying to say as well, its not worth it unless the raise is so significant that it puts you in a much higher quality of life.

The reason I made the ditch digger comment is because I get all these outlandish comments when ever I refer to 6 figure salerys, if speaking of 6 figure salerys in the lower 48 is like talking about ghosts and leperchans then there are major issues with our chosen line of work. 6 figures for an experienced PE is not all that out into space but some of you post as if it is and how im like a space alien because I wont work for under a certian amount. People who sell phone and internet service make 100k so why is it so unreasonable to expect that level of compenstation as an engineer. If I wanted to make 50k a year there are alot of easier things I could have done other than engineering. All im saying is if real numbers are not being offered then im not going to be motivated, if the only difference is 8k then I will do what is convient close and pays my bills and is easy. Also at 8 or 10k annual raise after taxes is only going to be a few hundred bucks on your weekly check, not excatly numbers that get me out of bed in the morning, now if you were talking an extra 1k a week net then I would say do the commute for a while because you can money up and be in a positon where you dont really have to work and build yourself a nice safety net.

Last edited:
Dude, you are seriously hard-headed. Sure, making 6 figures is possible for an experienced engineer, but you have 5 years of experience and just got your PE. Do you really think you are experienced? I've got the same amount of experience as you do and I know that I am far from "experienced". Also, when you speak of your 6 figure salaries (note the spelling), you speak as if it's common to make several hundred of thousands. An experienced engineer might bring in the mid-to upper 100s and maybe the low 2s, but that is tops (as far as I know). For that range, you better have at least 10 years of experience, but it will probably be closer to 20 years.

You might want to listen to the guys on this forum because they are your peers and it gives you a chance to really learn about the industry from a wide range of perspectives. That's what makes this such a great site, but you won't hear any of it.

Anyways, I know I'm just :deadhorse: but I just get tired of your constant bitching.

The reason we have a problem with your comments is that they are totally unrealistic. It takes a long time in any profession to make "fatty" money. I'm assuming "fatty" money is $150k to $200k. I'm making $80k right now and have been working for 6 years. I hope to be making "fatty" money in another 10 years. Your expectation of making "fatty" money right out of school is ridiculous and because we have realistic expectations of what the market will pay us doesn't make us ditch diggers.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

:deadhorse:

All -Thanks very much for the input to this point. I'll try to answer a couple of questions.........

I work for a state regulatory agency and I'm not quite sure how "secure" it is. For instance, you may have heard the woes of PA budget problems (like they can't seem to pass one on time for the past 7 years). Also, since obtaining the PE, I'm in the works for a 9% promotion w/the state, HOWEVER; I'd now be considered management (tho have no direct reports) and their (management) pay has been frozen since 2008 and will likely to be froze until next contract (FY 11-12). I would miss out on the remaining 6.25% pay increases due to rank and file. Also, there is not much hope for the next contract to be any better (ex. reduce pension formula, increase health care contribution, modest pay increases if any).

Conversely, the operator tells me (in addition to the promotions, etc.) that employees receive montly bonuses and yearly raises (last year 5% I believe).

In addition, if I look ahead 5 years in the future at my agency there will be only 2 employees left after retirement, me and another guy. That will create one more position for me to advance to and that will be it (unless I get politically connected)! So, if the current hiring freeze continues, the support services of the agency may just dissolve through attrition (not sure, just me being paranoid).

Again, looking at the company, 5 years down the road I stand to advance beyond the Chief Engr. into VP of Engr. (guy that interviewed me) and quite possibley into Manager of mines. Tho, I doubt I'll still have an 8 hr. day at that point!

I did spend time in industry, tho abbreviated (1 year). I worked in production so I gained 0 engineering experience. That is why I considered moving into the private sector, to gain that valuable experience that could assist me in obtaining an even better job in the future (if I so choose). Again, as I already mentioned, the longer I stay a govie the less likely someone in industry will want to hire me for the "ineptitude stigma".

BUT, I do enjoy the time off and my short commute (especially in winter). And it is a struggle to determine if I want to give up the simple things for $$$ and prestige!

That being said, this most recent tragedy in WVa has somewhat reaffirmed to me why I choose to be a state regulator focused on miners safety.
I currently have a 1hr 20 min commute and have been doing it for about 2 yrs now. The money is good for someone at my experience level, but the commitment is brutal. The hardest days are when you don't feel 100%. If you only work a half day, you spend almost as much time commuting as you do working. If you plan on having kids, it will put the entire burden of child care on your spouse. Luckily my wife has a pretty flexible schedule.

If you and the company are willing, I would recomend floating what their thoughts on teleworking some days in the future are.

BTW - I drive a truck and my monthly gas bill is around $350. You also NEED satalite radio or you will go slowly insane. Something to keep in mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
I drive about an hr each way to work, always have driven about an hr. Always had to find a halfway point for mine and hubby jobs. when gas was $4+ a gal it hurt real bad, but the gas bill still stings a bit every month as does the more frequent oil changes, tire rotations, and new tires in general.

I don't mind the commute, it gives me time to think and I am used it. Growing up in the chicago burbs it could take you an hour to go 15 miles. I can go 50 miles in that same time down here. Although 1.5hrs one way is sort of at the end of the tolerable limit.

You could rent your house out and move to an appartment closer to work too if you have absolutly no choice but to take a job far away.

Back