Failed PE Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i took the Mech test too. HVAC. Only took this one so i could sign off on those incredibly easy energy reports without someone claim i'm not qualified to do so.

Hvac  was much easier than the power test (probably because my background is civil, so lots of overlap). There was a lot less to study from and spent maybe a third of the time studying as compared to EE.

You have to call NCEES to unblock your account to take multiple exams.

I called NCEES and they opened up my power registration.  Can't remember if I had to get something from my state board to approve it (think it was just the NCEES call though).

But yea, I agree with Sayed, I took the Mechanical Design Test and there was too much study material.  It was odd having to "hunt" for decent practice problems and material.

D8125F79-217C-441D-ACAE-A0A493EA2135.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
also should mention, the justin kuawle books helped me for the HVAC test

i presume the Power test would be just as useful. and he’s great at answering questions. the books are dirt cheap, so help support him

Hi there, I took this exam twice, passed the second time. I got Testmasters.....in a scale of 10, I'll give it a 7 only because it helped me get an idea of what is was going to be on the test and not being spinning my wheels on things totally off the exam. However, at my second try, I combined this class with electricalpereview.com.....the classes (recorded) and live classes are awesome......electrical pe review gives the option of only paying for 1, 2, 3 or 4 months as you need. Since I already had reviewed with Testmasters, I only got electricalpereview.com for 2 months, it was great and Zach responds to your questions either live or by an e-mail.

You might be thinking, well it's quite a bit of money invested.....but remember that once you pass the PE...your salary or paycheck is going to increase.....For the FE and PE, between them including books, paper, time, courses/classes etc etc...I say I invested about $4000 or so. Of course, I recovered this money in a paycheck. 

So don't think that investing in a class is wasting money, is an investment that will give you back the money once you pass the test. 

The main purpose, is to not feel down, as I said, I took it 2 times,......and after the second attempt I thought I did not pass..and mentally I prepared for a Third re-take...But what kept me going was to be consistent and disciplined. Do not procrastinate the studying, the videos from the class you choose will help you a lot, as well as being on schedule.  I know is easy to read than doing, but I been there and done that, it took about more than a year of studying between the try/fails, the exam(s) was always in the back of my head, my boss asking me when I was going to take the test, co-workers doing the same thing....family, friends.....it can be a nightmare (if you let it be)...but the best way to attack it is to study and do your best next time at the test. Do not expect to know everything....I didn't.........and I think most of the takers are in the same situation.....just be honest with yourself, get a test-day plan. For example, going as fast as possible trough the test, not wasting valuable time on the ones you don't have an idea or that are a little more difficult. Answer the ones you know, get back to the others you think you can answer, and the harder ones at the very last.

Never give up, keep trying, never surrender, get a study plan....result .....PASS

I find it difficult to believe that someone without a Power background (qualification or experience) could pass the PE Power exam.  Heck, it's one of the most difficult PE exam to pass.  The April 2018 pass rate was only 57%.  I know people with Power background who has taken the exam many times and cannot pass. 

You ok?  You should get out of here and get that cough checked out...
Sure I was upset when the doctor told me I was highly contagious. But then I figured why should I let this flesh eating bacteria control my life.

*cough* nuclear *cough* *cough* software *cough*
Drink some medicine it might help your brain :D   Guess this site is the only place that you can put PE behind your name :D   Takes a genius to make a statistically significant conclusion from 12 test takers.

Back