FAILED Mechanical PE exam (Mechanical Systems/Materials). Advice needed.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I would say I advocate making the most of the problems you likely have already (MERM companion problems, practice tests, etc).

If you have book with 1,001 worked problems you're just as likely to "**** that" to a hard problem you don't understand and move on, than you are to say "I will understand this problem if it kills me." I advocate understanding concepts over "getting good at solving problems". I realize I may be in the minority here on EB...

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!
Very good point and I did that, I marked problems throughout MERM that I felt emphasized concepts needed to master the subject matter. Then later went back to work through them w/o looking at the answers. I'll continue to do that and now that I'm more familiar with MERM, I'll also spend more time practicing more problems.

Thanks again!

Very good point and I did that, I marked problems throughout MERM that I felt emphasized concepts needed to master the subject matter. Then later went back to work through them w/o looking at the answers. I'll continue to do that and now that I'm more familiar with MERM, I'll also spend more time practicing more problems.

Thanks again!
Hard to tell from your response... Are you referring to working example problems from the MERM itself, or the Practice Problems (also referred to as the "MERM Companion Problems")?

You have this one, right?

51hyBv6qmpL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hard to tell from your response... Are you referring to working example problems from the MERM itself, or the Practice Problems (also referred to as the "MERM Companion Problems")?

You have this one, right?

51hyBv6qmpL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Sorry if I didn't explain myself well enough, yes I meant problems that I marked in MERM as well as MEPP, I have both books. I also have the 6 min. solution book and just bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1502316463/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To add on to what JHW 3D said I used the NCEES Practice exam and the Six-Minute Solutions for this last attempt. I worked those problems until I could get a 100% on every problem in both books. I could get the NCEES Practice Exam done in 4 hours with a 100%. The Six-Minute Solutions on the other hand took me months before I could get every answer right.

To add on to what JHW 3D said I used the NCEES Practice exam and the Six-Minute Solutions for this last attempt. I worked those problems until I could get a 100% on every problem in both books. I could get the NCEES Practice Exam done in 4 hours with a 100%. The Six-Minute Solutions on the other hand took me months before I could get every answer right.
JHW:

I already purchased the new NCEES practice test and got a hold of of a 2010 version on line. I now have 3 practice tests that I will definitely use to practice and MASTER like you said. Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

JV

Back