Failed EIT Test Takers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Failed Oct 2012 exam. Guess a month of studying wasn't enough. Did anyone else have trouble with time management in morning session?
Hi NOLE954, Have you received your Diagnostic Report as well? Could you share your total points in the morning session by adding all of them. Also, could you do the same for the afternoon session as well. Thank you very much.

I passed on my first try. Been out of school 2 years. The morning section was much harder then the civil pm section. At 15 minutes I still had about 20 problems I had not even looked at and about 30 I still had not answered, I guessed B for everything and barely had enough time to finish my last bubble. The civil afternoon part felt like a breeze compared to the morning. I finished about 1.5 hours early and just crunched out the 15 or so questions I could not answer.

I studied for about 4 months, used the Lindburg book, I did not work every problem and the day before the test attempted the sample exam and gave up half way it was so difficult. The problems on the actual test felt WAY easier then the ones in the Lindburg. I studied about 2 hours total for the afternoon, I just ran through the sample problems supplied by NCEES, if I did not know the answer I looked at the solution and it just stuck. After seeing the test, if I had to take it again I would just use the NCEES supplied reference problems as they were the most like the actual test. I do not credit the Lindburg with helping me much at all, if anything it just kept me busy to keep my mind in problem solving mode.

In the end I thought the morning was brutal and the afteroon saved me. I am 100% sure I would have failed if I took the general afternoon. I think the advice some give that it is difficult to switch your mind over to different material is BS. I know for me classes like thermo, hydro, dynamics etc were very difficult so I would not want to have to solve any more of those then I needed to. My GPA on graduation was a 2.05, was kicked out of school 6 times, University of Florida. If I can pass my first time, so can you, just put in the time to study. I also BTW landed a great job and am now set to start my career. DO NOT GIVE UP.

51*1+39*2=129

In the morning session the moderator called 30 min left and I still had 50 or so problems left so I started to Christmas tree whatever problems I couldn't answer in a minute or so. So I'm not exactly sure where my weak spots, but I know chem and Thermo killed me. I would post my diagnostic, but I'm having trouble pasting it onto this forum. What format does it need to be in to post on here?

51*1+39*2=129

In the morning session the moderator called 30 min left and I still had 50 or so problems left so I started to Christmas tree whatever problems I couldn't answer in a minute or so. So I'm not exactly sure where my weak spots, but I know chem and Thermo killed me. I would post my diagnostic, but I'm having trouble pasting it onto this forum. What format does it need to be in to post on here?
Looks like you got 35 in the afternoon, not 39. That makes it 121. You're right, though. It looks like your questions at the end of the morning didn't help you much. Kick those up a notch and you'll get it next time. Good luck!

Failed Oct 2012 exam. Guess a month of studying wasn't enough. Did anyone else have trouble with time management in morning session?
The morning session is brutal. It's basically grinding and marathon...without any break. Basically, I skip the question if I need to take anything more than 1 min to figure it out and come back later if I have time (trying to solved it or guess). I think I guess about 15 in the AM session and maybe 10 in the PM...

just my personal advice based on my experience with the testing

1st try: right after sclool, did not pass (just guess most of the problem without using the reference book) it did not work out

2st try: 2 years after school(had to take EIT, it's required before PE), still no studying, the morning part was brutal(almost went home after the morning section & did not want to continue because I was pretty sure that I would have fail-good thing I stayed)

afternoon part was very easy (civil)

make sure you use the reference manual that's provided for the exam, a lot of the problem is about finding the right formula and plug in the numbers to get the correct solution. as far as studying, just spend enough time to learn the very basic in the areas

good luck to everyone. I am waiting anxiously on my PE exam result that I just took in October

very true about the reference manual. The information is there, you just have to find the right section...and it may not be in a section that would be obvious. Probably one of the worst reference manuals I have ever seen.

A tip I found it very useful when I took mine last Oct, is on the formula book : use the index pages..save time finding it

Hey Everybody, I passed the FE (CE for part 2). I just checked because I just worked up the nerve to. Good luck to everybody who didn't pass this time; keep trying.

I used EITExperts; I signed up for it a week before the exam. I studied most of topics but did not get to do all the problems. The professor is good; if you can take him sipping his Starbucks coffee and rocking back and forth in his chair; I recommend it. He seems to really care for the people taking his course.

Once again, good luck to those who weren't successful this time around.

I passed on my first try. Been out of school 2 years. The morning section was much harder then the civil pm section. At 15 minutes I still had about 20 problems I had not even looked at and about 30 I still had not answered, I guessed B for everything and barely had enough time to finish my last bubble. The civil afternoon part felt like a breeze compared to the morning. I finished about 1.5 hours early and just crunched out the 15 or so questions I could not answer.

I studied for about 4 months, used the Lindburg book, I did not work every problem and the day before the test attempted the sample exam and gave up half way it was so difficult. The problems on the actual test felt WAY easier then the ones in the Lindburg. I studied about 2 hours total for the afternoon, I just ran through the sample problems supplied by NCEES, if I did not know the answer I looked at the solution and it just stuck. After seeing the test, if I had to take it again I would just use the NCEES supplied reference problems as they were the most like the actual test. I do not credit the Lindburg with helping me much at all, if anything it just kept me busy to keep my mind in problem solving mode.

In the end I thought the morning was brutal and the afteroon saved me. I am 100% sure I would have failed if I took the general afternoon. I think the advice some give that it is difficult to switch your mind over to different material is BS. I know for me classes like thermo, hydro, dynamics etc were very difficult so I would not want to have to solve any more of those then I needed to. My GPA on graduation was a 2.05, was kicked out of school 6 times, University of Florida. If I can pass my first time, so can you, just put in the time to study. I also BTW landed a great job and am now set to start my career. DO NOT GIVE UP.
I think it is more dependant on what you feel comfortable with. Same as you, I graduated with a 2.02 gpa, I actually failed the test the first time (gen-gen), full prep course by the college I went to. The second time I took it, I was a year out of college and literally spent 2 hours cramming the night before the test (gen-gen again) and passed. Some people feel more comfortable witht he civil specific problems. For me, Norwich University had an extremely good math department.

I took my EIT exam after 16 years graduated.

My best recommendation is to take the Testmasters course, I passed the first time and studied only two months and 20 days since the course began January 20 and examination was April 9.

I resolved all workshop problems and bought two exams, PPI and NCEES.

I felt very confident in the test, I answered the easy questions first and then the difficult ones.
testmasters offers online courses?

I passed the exam being out of school for many years! I blogged about my experience in preparing and taking the EIT

http://eitexamprep.tumblr.com/

Good luck! Knowing the reference manual is key to you passing the exam.
Also, a strategy I used when taking the exam is to do the easiest problems first as those will take the least amount of time, then attempt the harder ones, and then finally the hardest ones. When the proctor announces that you are approaching the 5 minute mark, start guessing. When the proctor tells you that you have a minute left, you fill in a letter of your liking.

It was my first time taking the FE and I passed!

I was kinda scared because I have not taken any engineering courses nor math courses lol

Only subject i knew going in was chemistry and ethics!

I majored in bioenvironmental science and just wanted to challenge myself if I can pass the FE or not and I did (yay).

But it was tough I had to learn everything from scratch... I went the cheap route bought some big FE book from back in like 1995? and environmental P.M review thing which was like 50 pages only.

Well I did study 10~12 hours a day for a month and a half and I passed! The exam itself seemed really easy compare to the practice book I had

I'd say just dedicate yourself and study! if science majors like me can then you can too!

I took it my first time in college and didnt study at all. I didnt pass and took it again the October after I graduated and passed after two weeks of concentrating on the FE exam study guide. So its no biggie if you fail the first time, just take it again ASAP.

It was my first time taking the FE and I passed!

I was kinda scared because I have not taken any engineering courses nor math courses lol

Only subject i knew going in was chemistry and ethics!

I majored in bioenvironmental science and just wanted to challenge myself if I can pass the FE or not and I did (yay).

But it was tough I had to learn everything from scratch... I went the cheap route bought some big FE book from back in like 1995? and environmental P.M review thing which was like 50 pages only.

Well I did study 10~12 hours a day for a month and a half and I passed! The exam itself seemed really easy compare to the practice book I had

I'd say just dedicate yourself and study! if science majors like me can then you can too!
Congrats!

Back