Experience for PE Exam in NY

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderkb

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out when I'll be able to sit for the PE exam in NY. I know you need to have the 4 years experience (I went to an ABET school and passed my FE) by the time you SUBMIT the application, not by the time you take the test. For me, the difference between being able to sit in April vs. October is if I can use the time I interned for two engineering companies. I did a 2.5 month internship after my sophomore year of college, and another 2.5 month internship after my junior year. The work I did was similar to what I'm doing now as an EIT, and was under the supervision of multiple PEs.

I need to be able to count 3-4 months of these internships to be able to sit in October 2012, or otherwise I have to wait until April 2013. Does anyone have experience in NY using internships for experience?

I am trying to figure out when I'll be able to sit for the PE exam in NY. I know you need to have the 4 years experience (I went to an ABET school and passed my FE) by the time you SUBMIT the application, not by the time you take the test. For me, the difference between being able to sit in April vs. October is if I can use the time I interned for two engineering companies. I did a 2.5 month internship after my sophomore year of college, and another 2.5 month internship after my junior year. The work I did was similar to what I'm doing now as an EIT, and was under the supervision of multiple PEs.
I need to be able to count 3-4 months of these internships to be able to sit in October 2012, or otherwise I have to wait until April 2013. Does anyone have experience in NY using internships for experience?
I submitted my internships...and they accepted me (also in NY). I wouldn't call it an internship...I would write up the experience just as it was a regular job. If you apply and they reject you, you don't have to pay the application fee again so the best thing to do is submit everything and if they except you in 2012 great...if not they should in 2013. I have a lot of friend who wrote up their experience and were rejected because I think they were too vague so they had to wait until the following exam anyway so it can hurt to submit early. Good Luck!

Back