Example 1.4 in TDRM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodslegend

Reaction score
This is regarding example 1.4 in Transportation Depth Reference Manual. Isn't the present value to be calculated based on annual costs and annual benefits (P/A instead of P/F)? Isn't it wrong to sum all the values and assume it as a future value?

Any chance you can post the problem? Sounds like a standard Eng. Econ. problem...my fortay.

A proposal to dredge a shipping channel to a new depth

has an estimated cost of $248 million over three years,

plus $15 million per year to maintain the channel at its

new depth. The port facility served by the shipping

channel expects additional revenue of $70 million per

year to occur due to the increased access by larger cargo

ships. There is no residual value for the project. Using

an effective interest rate of 5%, what is the benefit-cost

ratio of the project over 10 years?

I'm coming up with 2.016:1 but I'm not sure I handled the $248 mil correctly.

FWIW ... I believe you should be using F/A .... given the annuity, convert to future worth.

I applied the 5% annuity for 10 years (12.5779) to the $70 million to get a benefit, then did the same to the $15 mil + the $248 mil for the cost .... I'm not sure about just adding in the $248 mil though???

Thank you all for your inputs. I think the question is missing the essential information. It says $248 over three years. How do you distribute $248 over three years to calculate the present worth of cost. ($248/3= 82.66 per end of each year? or $248 at the end of the third year?) And then, obviously, we are supposed to use P/A instead of P/F for both benefit and cost calculations. Anyway, I hope we don't get questions like these (missing info.) in the actual exam.

Thanks.

Yup, my tendency would be to apply the $248m as a lump sum cost, and assume the "over 3 years" clause is just the writer being sloppy about rounding out the problem statement.

Back