exam superstitions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rocked at basic college chemistry. I coulda answered most of those questions in my sleep. :signs051:

It was stuff like dynamics and solid mechanics where I had to wing it and hope I had enough points elsewhere to make up for it. :party-smiley-048:

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be tmi, but for the fe I wore boxers and didn't finish the pm section so I went commando for the PE. Still didn't finish. Proctors were surprised when they patted me down thinking I was trying to make off with several of the pencils.

I dont know about you all but I am very superstitous.

I took the pencil home with me the first time, the second time I left it at my desk.

anyone else have any stupid things like that they did for the exam :D

RG! Say it ain't so!

I did change a lot of things but the one the comes to my mind is the study site change.

Did not study at home. Used the city Public Library in weekdays and went to one of the office conference room during the weekends (mostly Saturdays). Did not study at home. Also limited my time to no more than 3 hours on week days and no more than 6 during the weekend. Sundays were free (most of the time unless something was bothering me). For my previous attempts, specially for the second one, I did go long hours 7 days a week.

I never allow myself to just casually say that I think I did good or bad. I always have to be as specific with my feelings and honest when somebody asks me how I think I did as I can be, because I feel if I don't the test gods will punish me with a failing score. I have to go through painstaking detail when answering people and I can see their eyes glossing over, but I must be honest or I could risk everything, EVERYTHING! The test gods are there, man, just out of view, listening and judging me. The test gods are like: "Was that his boss on the elevator asking him how he did on his state specific surveying exam? Homeboy better not give the quick answer he knows his boss is looking for, he better tell him every single emotionally draining and soul sucking detail about his post exam feelings or I'm hurling this FAIL dagger right at his eyes!"

It's been this way since the FE back in 2000.

The one thing I do for every exam is start from the last question and work my way back up. It helped me a lot because I felt like some of the more difficult first questions were there to discourage you. Passed on 1st try :)

Some funny comments in here....

For me, I felt I had to study in a different place for each exam.

Passed Survey while studying at the dining room table

Then Passed Seismic while studying at the kitchen table

Then passed the 8 hour exam while studying at my desk in my home office.

Back