Exam specifications?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yatkins

Reaction score
I just moved to California earlier this year and I'd like to transfer my PE license from MO to CA and learned I need to take these two exams.

I couldn't find much info on the CA board website about the exams. Is there an exam spec that lists the topics covered?

All I found was a list of recommended references.

Also, Do I need the 2010 CBC? Or can I get by with just the 2009 IBC?

You should also consider taking a seismic review class (Hiner is the most popular) if you're not a structural engineer and/or have been out of school for a while. Surveying concepts are much easier to understand, but require more complex calculations than seismic.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the seismic and surveying exams are 2.5 hours and have 50 questions each. That's only 3 minutes on average per question. Plus, they're both on the same day. In those exams, there is really no time to learn anything while solvinig a problem; either you know how to efficiently solve through the answer or you just make a best guess. They're hectic from beginning to end.

That's just wrong.....

Ok, I'll say it. Thanks Ptatohed!

Back