exam material format

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE blues

Reaction score
I'm planning to take a bunch of text books which have notes written in them using pencil. Would it be problem?

Depends on exam site rules specific to your state. Most requirements are that all notes be bound and written in ink. When in doubt, you can do like I did and just photo copy the notes you want to use and put in a 3-ring binder.

Even those who do not have a no-pencil requirement - it is a good idea to not have any pencil. They can suspect you of copying problems from the exam into your notes if you have notes in pencil.

my state doesn't have specific rules other than NCEES rules. I have one particular book that i pretty much etched each page in pencil when i used that book during undergraduate classes. i have all my other material in a binder, no loose papers.

I would highlight all of my pencil notes so you don't get suspected of copying problems.

You should contact the company/organization that administers the exam in your state with this question and ask if it okay or not, and if they say it is, print the response and bring it with you. My state has been very reponsive to clarifying e-mails.

I called the board regarding pencil marks in notes. The woman stated that notes with pencil notes are allowed and won't be a problem as long as you put your pencil down when looking through notes to avoid any suspicion.

My friend took the October exam and he had a bunch of notes in Pencil, he didn't have any issues. I guess best thing would be to put your pencil down to avoid any suspicion

Back