Exam day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a woman who used one of these one time I took the test, the area we were in had stairs (college lecture hall but half height stairs). She couldn't lift it and her dad assisted her in bringing it to her desk. No idea how she got it out since I was done before she was. 
HAHA..yeah I can see that being an issue! My testing location only has a couple curbs in the parking lot I have to go over. Last time I took the test my books were overflowing from my little crate which resulted in this story.

I may try luggage this time  :laugh:  

i brought a suitcase and it weighed nearly 100 lbs.  But i wasn't leaving any possible resource at home.  If you're fast enough, you will have plenty of time to search for that weird question in every book; I did.

i brought a suitcase and it weighed nearly 100 lbs.  But i wasn't leaving any possible resource at home.  If you're fast enough, you will have plenty of time to search for that weird question in every book; I did.
Was it full size? Did you have any issues with space around your desk during the exam? That's the main reason I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think you will have plenty of time? I thought that 6 mins per question is not very much to start with. My exam is in Holiday Inn if someone can comment of the space you get? I presume this is going to be in one of the conference hall. 

Do you recommend ear plugs or head phones? What is more comfortable where you don't even know that you have something in your ear/on ear feels natural but not hear any external disturbance. Please suggest  
Headphones are not allowed.  And earplugs bother me, so I was actually better off without them.  I did take some earplugs, but never used them.

Don't assume it'll start at exactly 8 AM like I did, got caught off guard while I was assuming they would just wait a few minutes until exactly 8 AM !

Do you recommend ear plugs or head phones? What is more comfortable where you don't even know that you have something in your ear/on ear feels natural but not hear any external disturbance. Please suggest  
You won't be allowed to wear headphones but I strongly suggest ear plugs, in particular, try the Hearos brand, they're very comfortable and block out nearly all the noise. It's just enough for you to be able to stay focused on the exam and not be distracted by people coughing in the room, dropping stuff or other types of noise.

Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one of our older videos on discussing the actual exam day that a lot of engineers have found helpful:

The video covers:

I. What to Expect:
•Exam Room, Proctoring, Exam Pace 6min per question

II. What to Bring and What not to Bring:
 •Plus examples of non-authorized items will get you thrown out! 

III. Advanced Test Taking Strategy:
•Do's and Don't, Take Multiple Passes, Don't get Stuck

IV. What to do When you Finish:
•Avoid this one thing, Don't finish early

Hope it helps!

If you're lucky, your table neighbor will wash out after lunch and not return. Then, you can REALLY spread your references on the table around you!
I like this on a long flight. A free business class for the price of economy.  I won't wish this for anyone for PE exam though. 

1 hour ago, Zach Stone, P.E. said:

Here is one of our older videos on discussing the actual exam day that a lot of engineers have found helpful:

Thanks  Zach. You covered lot of ground there

If you're lucky, your table neighbor will wash out after lunch and not return. Then, you can REALLY spread your references on the table around you!
I had a whole 6 ft table to myself.  Might even have been 8 ft, as I had a crate on each side of my chair, and some wiggle room.

My table partner erased ferociously like his score depended on it.  It shook the entire table and I was ready to throw my calculator at him by the end of the day.
YES. I had a dude like that once. When we came back from lunch, I told him he was a very aggressive eraser-er. He wasn't as bad in the afternoon.

Was it full size? Did you have any issues with space around your desk during the exam? That's the main reason I haven't tried that yet.
Yes, it was normal.  I'm sure proctors thought i was a  mess.  I literally had books all around me and i was ferociously looking through them.  I had some at my feet, under my chair, on my desk, behind me, in the suitcase etc.  No one complained or asked me to move anything.  As long as it wasn't in the walkway I assumed it was fair game.

Why do you think you will have plenty of time? I thought that 6 mins per question is not very much to start with. My exam is in Holiday Inn if someone can comment of the space you get? I presume this is going to be in one of the conference hall. 
there were literally questions i answered in 15 secs or less.  if you are prepared, you will have some very easy ones and you will spend time on the hard ones.  I had time to search every index of every book.  Now there weren't 10-15 of these questions where I had no clue and was searching for a needle in a haystack, but there were maybe 2-3.  And i found the needle on two of them.  I work in a very old company and very old power books are laying around.  I looked through them and took them if they seemed at all useful.  Then skimmed the indexes during exam day for that topic.

Yes, it was normal.  I'm sure proctors thought i was a  mess.  I literally had books all around me and i was ferociously looking through them.  I had some at my feet, under my chair, on my desk, behind me, in the suitcase etc.  No one complained or asked me to move anything.  As long as it wasn't in the walkway I assumed it was fair game.
I can see myself in similar situation on April 5th, I have so many reference materials. I even think it will be embarrassing on the exam day. 

19b8a990190b2edd869088405fd93d4ea2.jpg

I am using these 1" & 3" binders for the exam. I plan on using an A4 size paper as cover page with book name written. Is this considered a loose paper or do I need to glue it to the binder ?

View attachment 12723

I am using these 1" & 3" binders for the exam. I plan on using an A4 size paper as cover page with book name written. Is this considered a loose paper or do I need to glue it to the binder ?
Will you be inserting it behind a clear plastic cover? If so I would think you're good. If not I would just tape your cover sheet down. All of my binders are different colors so I know when I come to a Protection problem that's in my blue binder, motors are in purple so on and so forth. In each binder I have inserted a piece of paper behind the plastic cover with topics for that binder just in case I freeze up and forgot which color binder has which topics . I'm a multiple time test taker and no one has said anything to me about the loose piece of paper behind the plastic cover.  

Back