Exam Day Prep.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will mention one more thing that I don't think can be overstated ....
[SIZE=36pt]Check Your Units !!!![/SIZE]
I second this concept!!!! Probably one of the most important things to remember. I remember serveral problems had a lot of gobbleyguk in the problem statement, but turned out just to be a unit conversion. And they love to change up units between problem statement and answer.

Even in the Mech exam where everything is in English units, you have to be careful. pressure will be given in inches of water and the answer needs to be in psia.

Also for you mechies, watch out for the g sub c in your vibration problems. 32.2 is for feet and 386 is for inches. I had to write that in my MERM.

thanx y'all

this past few weeks/months have been quite stressfull . . . .BESIDES driving to class every Saturday and driving home at nite to get up Sunday and do it all over again and TRYING to study at nite (i have been fairly consitent with this!) . . . . my wife is going thru chemo for cancer and not doing very well.

Getting the exam./prep classes out of the way, chemo ending the friday after the exam, and spring finally getting here will be a nice change.

i also am my own worst enemy . . . .

AND UNITS!! . . . WELL SAID ON THAT POINT!

although i have to question why in the world anyone would design a strom sewer using MGD? . . . . .

Had plenty of time to organize my 'war room' once I was seated. I skimmed the paper a little bit while waiting, then once they said they would begin the directions soon, just closed my eyes and tried to relax.
Was your newspaper in a three ring binder?

thanx y'all
this past few weeks/months have been quite stressfull . . . .BESIDES driving to class every Saturday and driving home at nite to get up Sunday and do it all over again and TRYING to study at nite (i have been fairly consitent with this!) . . . . my wife is going thru chemo for cancer and not doing very well.

Getting the exam./prep classes out of the way, chemo ending the friday after the exam, and spring finally getting here will be a nice change.

although i have to question why in the world anyone would design a strom sewer using MGD? . . . . .
Good luck on the exam, and more importantly, my prayers and best wishes for your wife. That's got to be stressful

. . . . my wife is going thru chemo for cancer and not doing very well.Getting the exam./prep classes out of the way, chemo ending the friday after the exam, and spring finally getting here will be a nice change.

You and your wife are in my prayers. Sounds like you have much more stress in your life than should be allowed. We're here for you. Follow the advice given about preparation and exam strategy, but mostly calm down. Easier said than done, I know. You're going to have to find what works for you. Feel free to depend on the support network here and to get your frustrations out online. Good luck.

What exam day preparation, or I should say exam morning preparation, has worked for everybody in the past?
1. What time does everybody get up? (I think all exams begin around 8:00, so time zone should not be an issue here). I know it takes me quite a while sometimes to get to the point where my mind is clear and ready to function properly.

2. Sometimes when I study, I find that it takes me an hour or two to really get into a "zone". How can this "zone" be best achieved on exam morning? I was actually thinking of working a few simpler proplems from each subject before the exam just to get the thoughts instilled in my mind. Of course adding to an already long 8 hours may not be the best choice. I just don't want to finally achieve the "zone" on problem 20 of the morning section. That's basically an advanced ticket for October.

Any thoughts or is this too much thinking into the exam?

Thanks.
If you have trouble getting in the zone, then start with the section of the test you know the best and are the most comfortable with. It should help calm your nerves and you can move on the other bad boy sections.

By the time you actually get to taking the test, you've been awake for a while. Checking everyone's IDs, calculators, distributing the exam, filling in all the info, etc...it was more than enough time for my coffee to finally kick in.

Well,

I passed my first time through last April, so apparently whatever I did worked.

I read through this exact thread in March to get ideas.

Myself, I:

1) Took Thursday Afternoon off, and just came home. I spent a couple hours doing some reading in the MERM, then a few hours organizing my materials and packing them into a pullman type suitcase with rollers. What all that was done, I watched a movie and went to bed about 10pm or so. I probably should have hit the sack a little early than that though.

2) I got up pretty early the next day, maybe 5:00am?but I am fortunate in that the Exam was here in Spokane, so I didn't need to drive very far. about 20 minutes. I had a light breakfast, packed a lunch. A brought down 16 oz Monster energy drinks. One for the morning session, one for the afternoon session. Someone else suggested that, and I worked well. Had some water with me too.

3) I got down to the exam place about 30 minutes before they opened the doors (6:30am I think)...just to make sure I wasn't running tight or late and stressed. (I normally run late...and I didn't want any extra stress).

4) I took several extra books that I hadn't really studied, just as a "Hail Mary" option, but you really don't have time to hunt through books that you aren't familiar with. I used the MERM for about 60% of the references, the MArk's Handbook for about 10%, the Cameron Hydraulic Data book for about 25%, and all other references for about 5%...and those were probroblems I was just lost on and had no idea in the other books of where to go.

I took the Fluids/Thermo Systems module, so the Cameron book was very useful. A lot of it is in the MERM, but the tables are far more complete. For example, when determining friction loss of water through a pipe, you can do all the long math of Darcy's formula, or you can just pop open the Cameron book, look at the appropriate pipe size table from 1/4" to 192" diameter, and pull it out of there. It's got viscous liquid losses, steam losses, and pipe fitting losses all in there, along with a great chapter on calculating the Net Positive Suction Head. It was very helpful in the afternoon session in particular, as there seemed to be a lot of Fluids problems...but that probably changes each exam.

I think the Civil's and HVAC ME's need more books. Some people had a LOT of books, but I don't know how they had time to look at them all. Really, about 4 books and a binder of my notes would have been all I really needed.

5) At lunch I just went to the car and had my lunch. I didn't want to get stuck in a resturant during the lunch rush and get stressed on time.

6) Had my second energy drink during the afternoon session.

7) Went out to dinner with the wife, and went skiing the next day (we had a ton of snow and there was 160" at the top of Silver Mountain on April 12th. it was 70 degrees and a wonderful day, and it helped me to unwind after a test that I was sure I didn't pass.

My overall tips for preparring and taking the exam are summed up thus.

1) Start early, 3-4 months early, and ease back into the study mode. Ramp up as you go.

2) Over the last 2-3 weeks, cram! Study every night and on weekends. Work a ton of problems. You retain things you saw 3 weeks ago better than 3 months ago.

3) The last week, review. Go back and review chapters you studied 3-4 months early.

4) Practice problems are important, but there's a fair number of non quantitative or very simple calculation problems. Remember that you read about those questions before, and being able to open up a book and look up the answer quickly is important. Although you average 6 minutes per propblem, most problems either take more or less. So on those simple calc or non-quantitative, it's imporant to be able to go right to the answer quickly and move on, to then have more time for the longer calculation problems. Hunting through various books and indexes to find the definition of a fillet weld can take valuable time that would be better spent on problem that requires several calculations.

So reviewing your primary material like the MERM or Mark's is imporant too. Just read the chapters all the way though. My usual way of studying in college was to tear into the problems, and then read what I needed to from the chapters to solve the problems. But it really is helpful here to read the chapter, then work the problems from that chapter.

5) Finally, TIME MANAGEMENT. This goes back to #4. I cannot stress this enough. This was my biggest problem. I'd hit a problem that I -sorta- knew. I knew it just well enough to waste 20 minutes on it and not have an answer that I was sure of. SKIP THOSE PROBLEMS and come back to them. They seemed to hide a bunch of short calc/non-quantitative questions towards the end after I'd already got behind and was running late. I ended up blowing easy questions later because I struggled with the hard ones earlier and wasted too much time. They call the 15 minute warning and I have 15 problems I haven't got to yet...and 10 of those are pretty pretty simple...but I still don't have enough time...that was frustrating.

My advice, work your way through all the problems on a first pass. If it's a simple calc/non-quantitative, knock it out. Pick the low hanging fruit. It it looks like a longer calculation problem, skip it and move on. DON'T WORRY if you skip like 10 problems in a row. Like a said, it seemed like a lot of short simple problems were hidden in the later questions, liek they knew you'd have been banging your head against those longer ones up front by then and would be frustrated, stressed, and running short on time. A-holes! ;-)

Remember, a simple calc/non-quantitative problem that takes you a minute or two to solve has exactly the same value as a long truss question, or a Thermodynamic efficiency problem, or a water pipe system analysis problem. So don't obsess on the longer, "real" probelms and ignore those simple ones. If you're going to get beat, get beat by the hard problems, don't get beat by not getting to all thesimple ones. Nail all of those first.

I cannot stress this enough, as this was the torpedo that almost sank my ship. I probably had 10 problems in the morning session that I hadn't even got to yet when they called the 15 minute warning. As I was on a mad rush to read them...I saw several times, "OH, I know how to do that...I just need a few minutes that I don't have anymore!"

I swore I wouldn't let that happen again in teh afternoon...but sure enough, I had about 13 problems I haven't even looked at when they called the 15 minute warning. Fortunately, about 8 of them were simple calc/non-quantitative that I was able to bust out fast. But I was rushed, stressed, and I shouldn't have let myself get into that situation yet again. Had I not passed, that would have been the reason.

Ok, that my 2 cents worth...good luck!

7) Went out to dinner with the wife, and went skiing the next day (we had a ton of snow and there was 160" at the top of Silver Mountain on April 12th. it was 70 degrees and a wonderful day, and it helped me to unwind after a test that I was sure I didn't pass.
My in laws are from Spokane. We went to Silver Mountain once. Nice drive over there and the mountain was beautiful. It was also there where I went skiing for the first time.

I've also been snowshoeing (winter) and hiking (summer) around Mt. Spokane a few times.

What town are you from? They're in Mead.

The more that I'm away from my infamous passing on the 4th attempt, the more that I'm convinced that the thing that took me over the top was drinking a "5 hour energy" drink before the exam started, and another at lunch. I was able to clearly think thru EVERY problem! The 3 failed attempts I literally wore down before 4pm.....

MAKE SURE you try these before the exam so you know what your reactions are!!!!

^ See I would be the exact opposite. In general, I don't drink caffeine. It makes my skin crawl and I notice it more as I'm getting older. I have a hard time concentrating if I'm hopped up on it.

Personally, I'd rather just sleep well the night before and have a light but hearty breakfast.

The more that I'm away from my infamous passing on the 4th attempt, the more that I'm convinced that the thing that took me over the top was drinking a "5 hour energy" drink before the exam started, and another at lunch. I was able to clearly think thru EVERY problem! The 3 failed attempts I literally wore down before 4pm.....
MAKE SURE you try these before the exam so you know what your reactions are!!!!
So you liked the 5-hour energy stuff? I wasn't clear on your position.

I am planning on trying them for trial #3 for me. I love caffine (not like TXengrChickPE), and have a feeling that these may help my focus. My brain tends to ramble someti...ooo, look! A chicken!

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved them. I got a good night's sleep before all of my exams, but about 3-4pm on each of the first three attempts I was literally worn out. The last few problems I tried to solve, I could tell that if I had the energy I would be able to solve them, but I can just remember thinking that I didn't feel like I could do one more.

the 4th attempt was much different, and yes I know that part of it was preperation before the exam, i also tried to be more active, and eat better for month's leading up to the exam, but I knew I had the problem wearing out on the previous ones, so I decided to try this. I purchased 2 of the 5 hour energy drinks (not red bull! although I like those too!) it was the ones that are named "5 hour energy" I drank one before the exam....I was completely energized, and not really feeling nervous like I drank 10 cups of coffee....then at lunch I went to my car, and right before I went back in, I drank another one.....I felt great throughout the exam. I worked every single problem, finished with time enough to go back and check some that I "guessed at earlier" and even changed two problems that I realized what I had done wrong....then afterwards I didn't feel like I had been beat up all day.

I'm 45 years old, so things like this may make a more noticeable affect on me than some of you that are taking the exam in your early 20's...but I swear by the stuff.....

but PLEASE everyone....take this as it is....it's something that I felt like HELPED ME.....I would suggest trying these drinks ahead of time, and seeing how they make you feel. Don't go in there, drink this stuff for the first time, then blame me if you get an upset stomach, or a headache!

So you liked the 5-hour energy stuff? I wasn't clear on your position.
I am planning on trying them for trial #3 for me. I love caffine (not like TXengrChickPE), and have a feeling that these may help my focus. My brain tends to ramble someti...ooo, look! A chicken!

On the exam morning I was staying at a hotel that was nearer to the civic center than where i live. The night before I just went over my NEC codes and you know any little problems you had the urge to revisit. I must point out the improtance of doing all problems you can find from NCESS. Do them more than once. I got up had breakfast nothing heavy just to keep me from feeling hungry and left for the civic center. I had packed all my books in a pull type suitcase as sortal like this method of moving the pile of references. I brought all references I would need and then some more for the outside questions.

The approach I took for the exam was that I did not approach the exam questions in the order they were presented I looked thru the paper and did all the ones I can do quickly first. After I done all these I then moved onto the harder ones. Also you must keep your eye on the sly wolf we call TIME. You must also ensure you attempt all questions. If a question is giving you problem move onto the next one dont spend more than the given time on each question.

I wish you good luck on your day.

My in laws are from Spokane. We went to Silver Mountain once. Nice drive over there and the mountain was beautiful. It was also there where I went skiing for the first time.
I've also been snowshoeing (winter) and hiking (summer) around Mt. Spokane a few times.

What town are you from? They're in Mead.
I live out in the Spokane Vally, South Barker Rd. If you are a skier it's within 1.5 hours of 5 difernt ski resorts (most of them are smaller, but Silver Mountain is geting larger, and Schweitzer is very large)

Where did you drive over from? From Seattle?

Back