Everything you wanted to know about the CA-Survey/Seismic Civil PE Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.  Why would the new test plan lead to a lower passing percentage?  The test plan didn't seem all that different

2.  Why would they not adjust the cut score to keep passing scores in line with previous years?  It's completely unreasonable for this test to only have 39% pass rate imo
Is there a good reason behind keeping the passing rate so low? I don't get it...The national PE exam is 8 hrs and about 65% of test takers pass. And Surveying exam is something that other states does not even require, so why it is made so 60% has to fail and retake?  I don't live in CA but for my company I have collaborated with offices from all over. The engineers from CA I have worked are the brightest in my experience. The makes me think if the same test were a national exam the passing rate would be even lower :)

Just took my Seismic test yesterday. I mostly studied from Hiner's workbook and when I was slow to grasp a concept I would look for the analogous section in Mansour's workbook. I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of all the concepts and tabbed the hell out of both workbooks and ASCE 7-10. I also took one practice test, and am really glad I did because I realized the exam would have less to do with my overall knowledge of seismic design and would lean more on speed and test taking ability.

On the practice test I got 36/55 (65%). On the exam yesterday I felt like I did a bit better. I marked 11 questions and guessed on all of them. For the remaining 44 I felt like I got most of them correct, but was iffy on 4 or 5...so hopefully I moved the 65% to around 70%.

I know the % correct is no longer released, but is there a general consensus that if you are about 55-60% correct you should be in the clear?

Just took my Seismic test yesterday. I mostly studied from Hiner's workbook and when I was slow to grasp a concept I would look for the analogous section in Mansour's workbook. I felt like I had a pretty good understanding of all the concepts and tabbed the hell out of both workbooks and ASCE 7-10. I also took one practice test, and am really glad I did because I realized the exam would have less to do with my overall knowledge of seismic design and would lean more on speed and test taking ability.
On the practice test I got 36/55 (65%). On the exam yesterday I felt like I did a bit better. I marked 11 questions and guessed on all of them. For the remaining 44 I felt like I got most of them correct, but was iffy on 4 or 5...so hopefully I moved the 65% to around 70%.

I know the % correct is no longer released, but is there a general consensus that if you are about 55-60% correct you should be in the clear?
I don’t believe there is any consensus on that. The problem is that without the board publishing cut scores, all we can do is guess. I’d guess the cut score is generally around 65%, but it’s just rough estimates and shooting from the hip. It sounds like you did well enough to pass so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this will help someone else. I took and failed my seismic exam in August with the plan that if I failed I would take it again in the 4th quarter. I sent all of my information in from the midwest and it was delivered to BPELSG on the morning of 9/20. Today is the last business day of the month and barring some unexpected good news, it looks like I will not be approved in time to retake the test in the 4th quarter.

All I can say is get your re-exam forms in the day you receive your results and use priority mail! I had to wait a couple days due to some work deadlines and its looking like its going to cost me another 3 months!

Edit: Just called the board and they said I could get an ATT early next week (in Q4) that would say I could take the test in Q4. So their is still hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I just got an email saying I'm approved to take the CA Surveying and Seismic exam in quarter 4. Wonderng what referreces you would all recommend for the Surveying exam?

Thanks

Dina

I took the seismic yesterday for the 1st time. I usually can finish exams much earlier than required time. However, I feel the time is not enough to complete all 55 questions. I have to guess a few questions that I have skipped during the test. I think I may fail this time. Very upset😞

Time is the real battle in these exams. You have to work at being as fast and efficient at identifying and solving problems as you can be. Do as many practice problems as you possibly can to prepare.

And in the mean time, enjoy the blissful ignorance that is not having your results yet. And it seems like you should have your results soon based on the past months' reporting time.

I took the seismic yesterday for the 1st time. I usually can finish exams much earlier than required time. However, I feel the time is not enough to complete all 55 questions. I have to guess a few questions that I have skipped during the test. I think I may fail this time. Very upset😞
I hope you Pass 🙂. What book did u use to prepare? 

Hopefully this will help someone else. I took and failed my seismic exam in August with the plan that if I failed I would take it again in the 4th quarter. I sent all of my information in from the midwest and it was delivered to BPELSG on the morning of 9/20. Today is the last business day of the month and barring some unexpected good news, it looks like I will not be approved in time to retake the test in the 4th quarter.

All I can say is get your re-exam forms in the day you receive your results and use priority mail! I had to wait a couple days due to some work deadlines and its looking like its going to cost me another 3 months!

Edit: Just called the board and they said I could get an ATT early next week (in Q4) that would say I could take the test in Q4. So their is still hope!
Hi have you received the ATT to test in Q4? 

I’m still waiting too. Called the board yesterday and they informed me that a few applicants were delayed and should come out today or tomorrow. Congrats on your upcoming baby! @thebruce44

Fingers crossed you hear soon! Let us know
I got my ATT on Friday so I'm all set. It's good to know that the cutoff isn't necessarily the first day of the quarter!

Any tips for retaking the Seismic from anyone who has passed? I'm not sure what I'm going to do differently besides just doing a lot of problems again. I took Heiner's practice test and got a 70% so I really thought I was set to pass on the first go around.

I got my ATT on Friday so I'm all set. It's good to know that the cutoff isn't necessarily the first day of the quarter!

Any tips for retaking the Seismic from anyone who has passed? I'm not sure what I'm going to do differently besides just doing a lot of problems again. I took Heiner's practice test and got a 70% so I really thought I was set to pass on the first go around.
I took Heiner's course when I passed the exam. However, to supplement Heiner's course I also bought a set of CBT practice exams from EET. They're relatively cheap but it was a good way to take some additional exams, and it comes with the exam/solution book that you can bring with you to the exam. It's $85 for the exams (linked below).

http://www.eetusa.com/books/seismic-textbook

Did anyone take the seismic and surveying exams back to back? If so, did you wish you have taken them on separate days?

Did anyone take the seismic and surveying exams back to back? If so, did you wish you have taken them on separate days?
I haven't personally, but I have friends and co-workers that did, they said it was the biggest mistake they could have made. You're burnt out during the second exam.

Back