Estimating Quantities and Costs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE2BII

Reaction score
Hello,

If you have any helpful hints on study material/websites for this section, I would appreciate them. I need to improve on this section. I thought that I scored the best on this section and instead I scored the worst on it.

Thanks

The CERM has come excellent exmaple problems with earthwork quantity estimation. Make sure you also have a CRSI manual or your reinforced concrete design textbook. A crucial skill to master before the test is estimating the tonnage of rebar in a structure. In order to do this you will need a rebar bend table that shows you the additional length to add to each bar for a particular bend such as a 90 degree bend for a No. 7 bar. The afternoon construction test requires a scrupulous attention to detail.

The CERM has come excellent exmaple problems with earthwork quantity estimation. Make sure you also have a CRSI manual or your reinforced concrete design textbook. A crucial skill to master before the test is estimating the tonnage of rebar in a structure. In order to do this you will need a rebar bend table that shows you the additional length to add to each bar for a particular bend such as a 90 degree bend for a No. 7 bar. The afternoon construction test requires a scrupulous attention to detail.

How about this textbook: http://www.amazon.com/Reinforced-Concrete-...862/ref=ed_oe_h

I would try and find out if it has the bend table in it. You should be able to google the bend table and save $70.00

In what estimation would this bend deduction factor be applied? Retaining walls and footings? Does the CRSI show how to calculate tonnage of rebar for foundation designs? I'm still having a hard time figuring out how I would use it in a calculation.

Rebar Fabrication Table

In what estimation would this bend deduction factor be applied? Retaining walls and footings? Does the CRSI show how to calculate tonnage of rebar for foundation designs? I'm still having a hard time figuring out how I would use it in a calculation.

Here is a table of typical rebar bends. This is important because it wil help you determine of the overall length of bar so that you can figure out your rebar tonnage. A good rule of thumb for rebar is that one rodbuster can tie 2000 lbs/man day.

I would try and find out if it has the bend table in it. You should be able to google the bend table and save $70.00

I found a bend table online...but all it shown with all the a, b c,....etc without real number dimension.....does it make sense?

Rebar Fabrication Table

Here is a table of typical rebar bends. This is important because it wil help you determine of the overall length of bar so that you can figure out your rebar tonnage. A good rule of thumb for rebar is that one rodbuster can tie 2000 lbs/man day.

YES! that is the same one I found...what does it mean....? without number dimension....how does it help to determine the length of rebar?

I really do not see how this applies to the test. I picked up this book "Estimating Construction Costs, 4th Edition" which is pretty good. The basic topic is given a task and list of materials calcualate the project cost. Ruwan covers this pretty well. Most of the issues deal more with reuse of materials and estimating labor costs.

How bends in rebar will help I really cannot say. This book is available for $10 on alibris.com Estimating construction costs, by R L Peurifoy

I really think time is better spent looking more at the whole picture than worring about a little bit of rebar.

Back