ENGINEERING PROFESSION WAY DIFFERENT FROM MEDICAL PROFESSION

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am licensed Engineer with a MS degree and was asked by my previous employer to report to a guy who is an Engineering technology major. I refused, changed my job with a title as Team lead in a F-100 company. Hey by the way got 10% pay raise with job change, new office and excellent benefits.

I have very little or no respect to guys with BS degree. BS = Bull S**t and on top of that Bachelor of Technology...Hell no....

Well it sounds like it is good that you changed jobs. Here's my opinion. From face value, it looks like you were over qualified for that first job. If the employer doesn't need to have a PE in charge then why would they. It will just cost them more money. When you moved to your new job your MS and PE were actually valuable to the employer and they paid you accordingly.

You second reponse seems like it is just sent to cause conflict. It makes you sound like, "well I have __ (insert degree here) and you don't so you aren't work bunk. How is that helping the situation at your previous job.

Yeah, well it's probably no more frustrating than 50-somethings with 30+ years real application, construction, and management experience that have to deal with 20 somethings with 4 years experience and two multiple choice tests thinking they're more valuable and better.

Get over yourself man.

While I agree to you to a point, try looking at it from a different angle, from the perspective of the employer. While that experience is very valuable and a price really can't be put on it, can that experience stamp plans? Nope sorry. Would you go to a doctor, lawer, or even nurse that said "oh I don't have a licence but I have been doing this for years." Probably not. That kid with the 4 years experience will still need to be knocked down a little bit off his high horse but to completely write them off because they don't have enough experience isn't good either.

Back