Engineering Misnomers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a sanitary engineer. And no, I'm not a janitor.

Early in my engineering career, when I would reveal that I was an electrical engineer working in high voltage power systems, it typically ended with being asked to come help install a ceiling fan.

Now, I just lead with that: "Yes, I'm an electrical engineer, yes, I work in power systems, yes, I know how to install a ceiling fan, sure, I'll be glad to help you with that wiring problem in the basement: how much beer do you have?" It saves a lot of time and trouble to just get to the point.

A friend of mine, not a college graduate, who works in IT (his job near as I could tell was to move stuff around), received a promotional title to Chief-Engineer-of-Moving-Stuff-Around or something like that.

Every time we'd get together he would joke about how he's an engineer now and didn't even have to go to college HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!....HA!....Ha....ha...ha...ha ha ha.

.....every time ....

Now we're not friends anymore.

^ also have a friend in I.T. that got the title "engineer" in his signature some how. Still friends, but I give him hell for it every time I see him.

I am a project engineer who is also a PE so there is some confusion with that.

I just finished a grad degree in construction management and I can attest that folks in those industries know darn well what a PE is and does.

LOL...this is true.

• Clean toilet - Check
  • Take out trash - Check
  • Sweep floor - I'll sweep it under the rug this time and Check!

So is Captain America an environmental engineer? He's all about environmental justice......I think.

Wrong Captain - I think this is the guy you were thinking of:

captainplanet.jpg

Latest posts

Back