Electrical Power P.E. Study Plan Help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my study plan... any suggestions?

Going to use the Irvine Institute of Tech. P.E. Electrical Licence Review Manual Vol. I (are Vol II and III necessary?) http://irvine-instit...rg/pe_elect.htm

Then I am going to complete the P.E. sample tests by Complex Imaginary Vol. I through 4 and the code book drills. http://www.compleximaginary.com/books/

I already have the NEC 2011 code book.

Am I missing something? Do I need the P.E. Electrical Licence Review Manual Vol. II and III?

Mr. Ship Wreck,

The P.E. sample tests by Complex Imaginary Vol. I through 4 are not NCEES sample tests? Not familiar with the NESC or spin-up sample tests. Where can I find more information?

I also forgot, you really need power system analysis by grainger, and electric machines drives and power systems by Wildi.

I just passed the power exam and I have a plethora of books to sale. And the NCEES sample exams are different from complex Imaginary books

I just passed, so here's what worked for me.

Get the Power Reference Manual by Camera, and the quick reference equations that goes with it. Don't bother with the Questions that go with the manual, they're way more detailed than you need to know.

Get the NCEES sample test.

Get the NEC obviously.

My main thing was I just started at the beginning of the sample test and worked the problems, looking up whatever I needed. Once I got through the test once I looked at what I got wrong, then studied on those questions. I ended up taking the exam three times, doing better each time.

Anything you feel weak on just study the reference manual on that subject.

I have the Grainger book, I actually took his class in college, but I didn't find it that useful. He uses way too many matrices for me, it's more difficult stuff than is necessary for the exam. I took it with me though, I did actually use it to get one answer right.

How did you guys find out if you passed already from October tests? From what I know they don't generally release results until next week at the earliest. My results are not out yet in Colorado.

Everyone above has given good advice. I was pretty rusty going into studying, so studied from April - October. First few months was reviewing the basics and working all the problems out of my reference books. After the first 3 months, I did nothing but work problems just about non-stop until October. Spinups, Complex imaginary, and NCEES practice exams. I felt very prepared for the test and passed on the first try!

I used WIldi, Camara EPRM reference, Grainger book, Handbook of Electric Power Calcs by Beaty, and then the 3 exam sets mentioned above. I have everything but Wildi, Beaty, and Grainger book for sale in the classified section.

I only studied for about 12 hours total. I borrowed Electrical and Electronics Reference Manual for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam and Sample Questions from a co-worker who got it from PPI. I worked a few problems out of it and decided it was about useless. I did take it to the exam as a reference though and did use it a few times. I ordered the sample exam from NCEES and worked about 75% of those questions. Get a legal calculator and use it while practicing. Preferably one that does polar to rectangular conversion for you. Not that this is hard to do, but it saves a ton of time on the exam if you have a calculator that does it with the push of a button.I used the TI-36X pro. Worked like a champ for me. I also took the NEC 2008 handbook. Get the tabs and tab the NEC, it helps. A very large portion of the test is NEC so becoming familiar with where certain tables and certain sections is key. On the actual exam I worked all the questions that were calcs or conceptual that I knew. That took about an hour and a half in the AM session, then went back to look up the NEC questions and knock those out, then I spent the remaining time reasoning through the ones I was lost on. Same technique on the afternoon session except that it took me about 2 hours to get through the questions the first time around. Get a legal calculator and practice with it when you work the NCEES sample problems. Take your sample question book with you as well and your answers and any work you used to solve the sample questions. Some of the exam questions are almost exactly the same. The sample questions have plenty of NEC quesitons so it will help you familiarize yourself with the NEC if you aren't already. I'm a substation engineer so I rarely deal with NEC unless we are working with a commercial client. If you can still do complex math, use the NEC, and work the NCEES practice problems you should pass.

Back