Electrical Power P.E. Study Plan Help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is my study plan... any suggestions?

Going to use the Irvine Institute of Tech. P.E. Electrical Licence Review Manual Vol. I (are Vol II and III necessary?) http://irvine-institute.org/pe_elect.htm

Then I am going to complete the P.E. sample tests by Complex Imaginary Vol. I through 4 and the code book drills. http://www.compleximaginary.com/books/

I already have the NEC 2011 code book.

Am I missing something? Do I need the P.E. Electrical Licence Review Manual Vol. II and III?

The most important book is the official ncees practice manual! By the time you take the test you should know how to solve every problem. ( I took this same practice test 4 times and only missed 1 problem during the last attempt)

Before attempting the practice test I would spend a few weeks learning or reviewing the list of topics that will be covered on the exam. Also I would have a text book that explains that topic. (Grainger Stevenson textbook is excellent and has several topics covered)

If I get stuck on a topic or need information search this board for the answers.

But once again the most important item is the official ncees practice textbook.

Hope this helps

Yeah, Ship Wreck is right on. I would buy the latest version straight from the Ncees website.

Get really used to the NEC. There were no less then 12 NEC problems on Octobers test. I still cant figure out how looking some random fact up in a book is considered engineering.

I havent heard as many good things about the IRVINE course...I would get the GATECH Binder...its what helped me the most

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my study plan... any suggestions?

Going to use the Irvine Institute of Tech. P.E. Electrical Licence Review Manual Vol. I (are Vol II and III necessary?) http://irvine-institute.org/pe_elect.htm

Then I am going to complete the P.E. sample tests by Complex Imaginary Vol. I through 4 and the code book drills. http://www.compleximaginary.com/books/

I already have the NEC 2011 code book.

Am I missing something? Do I need the P.E. Electrical Licence Review Manual Vol. II and III?

The code book is ok, but it really doesn't have any examples of working problems, just looking up info, which is helpful. The GTech binder has a section on not only looking up the info in the NEC, but also using that info in problems.

Instead of the standard NEC I suggest the NEC Handbook. It has illustrations, exams and explanations. I use the code everyday and I exclusively use the handbook. I never open the standard code. Good luck!

Yes. It is the entire code but with additional information. Just make sure it is the one published by NFPA. There are others out there that are summaries of the code.

Yes. It is the entire code but with additional information. Just make sure it is the one published by NFPA. There are others out there that are summaries of the code.
+1 for the NFPA handbook. I would also recommend the tabs from smarttab.net. I use the NEC at least weekly but the tabs helped me recognize a question in a section of the codebook that I otherwise may not have looked at.

^The tabs are great. I have them and they make a huge difference. For $15 they are worth every penny.

You might consider EERM by Camara for the Economics portion. The tables at the back came in handy to solve most of the problems. Also, sometimes there are questions from the NESC - a review of it will suffice to know where to find the answers.

You might consider EERM by Camara for the Economics portion. The tables at the back came in handy to solve most of the problems. Also, sometimes there are questions from the NESC - a review of it will suffice to know where to find the answers.

I'm glad I took a copy of the NESC. It came in handy for a couple questions. The Economics tables are also in the back the Power Review Manual. Just know how to use them because there wasn't much explanation in that book.

I wouldn't waste your money on a econ book. You can just google and download the tables from a number of different sites for free.

Back