Electrical PE Exam - Oct. 2013

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GA Tech course gets my nod. If you search around here a bit, you'll find some pretty good reviews from other members (including me). I haven't seen as many good reviews for PPI.

EDIT: I should also note that the GA Tech binder was probably my primary resource during the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning session was good, but afternoon was something else! Nothing that I could have expected. I am starting to think that the afternoon session is going to drag down my score below the threshold. It is frustrating to go through all this after all those months of dedication.

But question becomes: if I need to sit for next round of preparation, and go through this once again what preparation materials should I be using? I’m thinking of taking one of the preparation courses PPI or GA Tech. What do you guys suggest?

How did people do the test who took PPI class vs. the ones who took the GA tech courses? Which one is test oriented?

Thanks.

I bought the PPI Passing Zone and Exam Cafe, and someone was kind enough to sell me their GA tech binder. The GA tech binder helped me out A LOT during the exam.....and for the PPI...I want my money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I took the Gtech class and it is pretty good. I think that just getting the binder and working through it yourself would be almost as good, and save you $$.

On a side note, I have a Gtech Binder, CI Tests 1-4, NCEES Practice Test, and CI Electrical Code Drill Book for sale.

It might be little too early to buy or sell. Anyways, where do you have it on sale? How's "Electrical Code Drill Book"?

It might be little too early to buy or sell. Anyways, where do you have it on sale? How's "Electrical Code Drill Book"?

Its not to bad. I did about half of them. It saved me some time on the test by realizing that the definitions at the front of the NEC can come in handy for a quick solution to a problem. Its good to teach you how the NEC is organized.

For those that took the Electrical & Electronics exam, did you need to reference the NEC or NESC codes? What about Engineering Economics? The exam specs on NCEES doesn't specifically say these things will be on the Electronics exam, but PPI says different.
If you didnt have the NEC...You most likely didnt pass... I didnt take the NESC, only the table of contents, and I was fine.

After seeing a large number of a certain type of problems in the morning, I thought we were done with them. Then I opened the afternoon, and read the first question, and let out a quiet F bomb.. the Proctor laughed at me.
Econ is included on the General Power Engineering, Special Applications Part of the Test which NCEES shows as being 10% of the test. Reference Below.

I. General Power Engineering 30%

A. Measurement and Instrumentation 7.5%

1. Instrument transformers

2. Wattmeters

3. VOM metering

4. Insulation testing

5. Ground resistance testing

B. Special Applications 10%

1. Lightning and surge protection

2. Reliability

3. Illumination engineering

4. Demand and energy management/calculations

5. Engineering economics
daw4888, you sound like you took the Power sub-discipline exam. I'm asking who specifically took the ELECTRONICS sub-discipline exam. The Electronics exam outline on NCEES doesn't mention the NEC code, NESC code, or Engineering Economics. But the instructions at the top of the outline say that some questions may include economics. I've been reading through this forum and PPI's website and find conflicting info about economics, NEC, or NESC on the Electronics exam.
Did anyone on here take the Electronics sub-discipline exam, or did everyone take Power. If anyone took Electronics, can you answer my questions?

Glad to hear I wasn't alone when looking at the first PM question.... Pretty much like everyone else, AM part felt great, PM @^$%#.

For those that took the Electrical & Electronics exam, did you need to reference the NEC or NESC codes? What about Engineering Economics? The exam specs on NCEES doesn't specifically say these things will be on the Electronics exam, but PPI says different.
If you didnt have the NEC...You most likely didnt pass... I didnt take the NESC, only the table of contents, and I was fine.

After seeing a large number of a certain type of problems in the morning, I thought we were done with them. Then I opened the afternoon, and read the first question, and let out a quiet F bomb.. the Proctor laughed at me.
Econ is included on the General Power Engineering, Special Applications Part of the Test which NCEES shows as being 10% of the test. Reference Below.

I. General Power Engineering 30%

A. Measurement and Instrumentation 7.5%

1. Instrument transformers

2. Wattmeters

3. VOM metering

4. Insulation testing

5. Ground resistance testing

B. Special Applications 10%

2. Reliability

5. Engineering economics
daw4888, you sound like you took the Power sub-discipline exam. I'm asking who specifically took the ELECTRONICS sub-discipline exam. The Electronics exam outline on NCEES doesn't mention the NEC code, NESC code, or Engineering Economics. But the instructions at the top of the outline say that some questions may include economics. I've been reading through this forum and PPI's website and find conflicting info about economics, NEC, or NESC on the Electronics exam.
Did anyone on here take the Electronics sub-discipline exam, or did everyone take Power. If anyone took Electronics, can you answer my questions?
Sorry I didnt notice the Electronics part. I dont know anyone that took that sub-discipline part of the exam. Only people that took power. Sorry I cant be of any help.

If you can read a present value, future value table, and know how to apply it, you should be ok.

I finished an hour early in the AM, went back and guessed on the 2 questions I had no idea on, then reviewed some of the questions I had some doubt on. Seeing some of them for a second time, it was easier to pick out the 'trick.'

Afternoon was definately tougher, well the first half of it anyway. Finished with 20 min left.

I took it last spring, and was suprised at the varying focus of the questions between the two tests. It seems like a crapshoot to me, you just need to get lucky with the questiosn they feel like putting on the test. It doesn't give me much faith in the process to be honest.

I took it last spring, and was suprised at the varying focus of the questions between the two tests. It seems like a crapshoot to me, you just need to get lucky with the questiosn they feel like putting on the test. It doesn't give me much faith in the process to be honest.

Are you saying they had different percentages of questions from what they published on their website? I've often wondered how they do that. They could ask an engineering econ question but it's comparing different variable speed drives or something. Do they "count" that as an econ question or a variable speed drive question? I guess it depends on what they're really asking. But then do examinees agree or do they say that there were more variable speed drive questions than they was expecting..........

Are you saying they had different percentages of questions from what they published on their website? I've often wondered how they do that. They could ask an engineering econ question but it's comparing different variable speed drives or something. Do they "count" that as an econ question or a variable speed drive question? I guess it depends on what they're really asking. But then do examinees agree or do they say that there were more variable speed drive questions than they was expecting..........

I think the general breakdown is accurate, it's the sub-categories that seems to vary. Not sure if I should be saying much more than that.

I know what you're saying. Take the example below

Special Applications 10%
2. Reliability
5. Engineering economics

So you have 8 questions on any one of these topics. It can be 3 on economics, 2 on surge protection, 2 on iluumination engineering, 1 on demand and 0 on reliablity. Or any combination thereof. And engineering economics itself is a very large subject so the questions can be in different areas or 2 questions that are the exact same thing with different numbers.

Same feeling as everyone else. AM was pretty easy, finished with 2 hours left and then spent 45 minutes working it again. Found a couple errors and fixed them, probably got 90% or so on the morning. Then, there was the afternoon. Wow. Totally different feel, probably twice as hard. My prep didn't really prepare me adequately for the afternoon, but I feel like I got enough of them to pass. Just have to wait and see.

FWIW, I made it a point on the actual exam to clearly underline/circle exactly what the problem was asking and made sure to read it in its entirety. I did that for every problem even if I had to skip it and come back to it later.
This was very helpful to me, saved me at least a few stupid mistakes! Thanks knightfox

And I hijacked that red pencil to frame with my certificate and calculator one day!

I took the test in April too and felt like this test was much more difficult, although I was more prepared on this one. Got the feeling someone else created this test compared to the test 6 months ago. It had a different looks and feel. The afternoon was more difficult by 3-4 questions plus the fatigue. I was told I could keep my red pencil.

For those who took one of the versions of the electrical PE exam this past weekend, how'd it go? Easier or more difficult than expected? What color was the pencil?

Also, as a friendly reminder, please be aware that you signed an agreement with NCEES not to discuss any specific content on the exam. NCEES monitors this forum regularly around exam time. Note a previous post below where one test-taker was close to revealing too much information. Don't let that happen to you. When in doubt, keep it to yourself. :thumbs:

As a reminder, when you took the NCEES examination you signed an agreement that included the statement that you agreed you will not reveal in whole or part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, or any internet chat rooms, or otherwise. This agreement also stated that failure to comply with this could invalidate your exam results.

I was just reviewing a borderline post from this website with my Manager of Compliance and Security when it was edited by the poster. Please do not share exam content - we do not wish to invalidate your results.
Why do you ask about the color of the pencil?

Kind of a tradition on this board to know what the color of the pencil for each exam cycle and how it changes.

Kind of a tradition on this board to know what the color of the pencil for each exam cycle and how it changes.

I thought you were obtaining data to perform a correlation study on the color of the pencil vs the difficulty of the exam and the perceived cut score. :rotflmao:

I'm taking the exam in April. I've completed the Georgia Tech review course. Looking back, what books would you recommend using to prep for the type of questions seen on both the PM and AM exam? Also, would you mind listing the relevant books that you recommend taking into the exam?

Back