Electrical Engineering Reference Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shezadeh

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any particular advantage to having the latest edition of the "Electrical Engineering Reference Manual" by Camara? I have a copy of the older EE Reference Manual by Yarbrough, but it is from the early 1990's.

I don't mind spending they money if it will help, I am just not sure if the most recent edition is that much better than, say, Camara's 2006 edition. For the FE I used the 2006 edition of Lindeburg's FE review manual and felt it was adequate, but I am not sure how the PE goes.

Any additional books that are good study materials/references during the exam? I am in IL, so Schaum's outlines are not allowed (at least this is what I have heard), though I guess they have good practice problems.

While I can't directly compare the two you mentioned, Camera updates the book based on feedback on exam content and style. The content has changed from the 90's.

I used Cameras EERM for the Power exam (bought it just weeks before the PRM was released) and found that it covered at least 80% of the exam content. The PRM is closer to 90% for the Power exam. If you are familiar with the other book(s) then you may prefer to use them.

I ended up buying the new Electrical and Electronics Reference Manual by Camara. I'll probably use the old Yarbrough one for practice problems, but I wanted to make sure I had something that covered all of the topics in the modern exam. This book looks sweet!

Yeah, I have the old Camera book from before the test was split and the latest one. They are different. I only took the newest one into the test, amongst other books.

Beware of the errors in the book, you need to download the errata from the ppi website.

"Sweetness" shall be based on all the reference materials actually needed to pass the exam. EEPM, while tasty...isn't all that sweet. For EE Power at least, there are two books to rely on. The first is "hard knocks", the other you'll have to figure out on your own. If I spent 500 hours studying what I thought I needed to...it wouldn't have made a difference. Take what you plan to study, divide that time by 10, then take the result x3. Spend that time on what you were going to brush up on...as you didn't think it was a high priority for the exam. Long story short, I'm not an EE prodigy, but what I expected versus what I saw was nothing like I imagined. I am just waiting for the day when I say PASSED on this forum. As a former rocket scientist....it's really not rocket science. Sincerely, a "minimumly competent" engineer. Bring on the results!!!

Back