Electric Power Bill

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ship Wreck PE

Reaction score
How much is your monthly power bill?

My house is in Ga

2400 sq ft

Total electric

$85.00 to $160.00

Fairbanks - .2035 / kwh (including all fees but customer charge)

Depending on the usage, upto $200/month in the winter during a long cold spell. Ol' coworkers have seen bills in excess of $600/month during really cold snaps.

Anchorage - .1432 / kwh (including all but customer charge).

Electric bill in the apartment are covered by the landlord, so I'm not keeping track of monthly costs.

Bush communities are based on current cost of diesel and the amount of kwh consumed. AVEC is a primary supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last months bill in Fbx was a whopping $27!! That includes a $17.50 customer charge and electricity utilized for two deep freezers and the toyo set to 50*.

Around $500 ($0.40-something per kWh) Remote Pacific island that runs on diesel. And I insist on using air conditioning.

Holy shit that's insane! My house in Georgia was 3500 square-foot my utility bill was for electric was always two $50-$350 depending on how hot it was I don't how RW got away with it to Chico by Colorado house is about 2600 ft.² and so far my one combined electric gas bill including a deposit

Was hundred and 50 bucks so at least one thing is cheaper out here but of course I'm in a much smaller house

Atlanta (gas heat)

$80 last bill

This summer was not too hot, so the peak was only around $200. Usually $300-400.

NJ - 3800 square feet.

I typically pay about $200 per YEAR. Yes, I said YEAR!!!

I have 10 KW of solar panels on my roof. My highest electric bill in the past three years has been $78, but typically I produce more electricity than I consume. NJ has NET Metering, which means my meter spins backwards if I produce more electricity than I consume. If my meter does not advance forward over the course of the month I have a zero dollar electric bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJ - 3800 square feet.

I have 10 KW of solar panels on my roof. My highest electric bill in the past three years has been $78, but typically I produce more electricity than I consume. NJ has NET Metering, which means my meter spins backwards if I produce more electricity than I consume. If my meter does not advance forward over the course of the month I have a zero dollar electric bill.
How much does 10KW of solar panels cost?? Maybe I need to get some?

I'm on the western side of central FL, I think my house is about 2400sq ft. Summer time bills avg about 180, winter bills are about 70.

3800ft in west KY. Geothermal units and an inground swimming pool no propane or natural gas. Winter is around $140. This summers highest was $360. I'm very pleased with this seeing how the last house electric bills were almost identical, only it was about 2000ft without a pool and I had to buy propane at $600-$800 a year.

NJ - 3800 square feet.

How much does 10KW of solar panels cost?? Maybe I need to get some?

I paid about $38,000 in 2009, but the prices have dropped since then.

The real payback on solar is the selling of SREC's. I earn an SREC for every 1000 KWh that I produce. My system makes 12 SREC's/year. Back in 2009 and 2010 I was selling the SREC's for $675 each and making about $8,000/year (plus the energy saving). Unfortunately the NJ's SREC prices have dropped off since then, but I am still looking at about a 5 to 6 year payback, then I am making a profit on my investment.

Back