EB.com BIGGEST LOSER

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are there teams on this thread or something?

anyways, I started atkins again and I'm reading the new book. I love it. I've lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks without ever feeling hungry, my energy levels are up, and my clothes fit better. The diet appeals to me because it has a scientific approach, and it is easy to stay away from the chips late at nite because I don't want them.

anyways, I started atkins again and I'm reading the new book. I love it. I've lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks without ever feeling hungry, my energy levels are up, and my clothes fit better. The diet appeals to me because it has a scientific approach, and it is easy to stay away from the chips late at nite because I don't want them.

Is the new book pretty good? Contemplated picking it up myself. A pseudo-atkins diet is how I lost all the weight to begin with, but I always have a hard time determining things like portion size, some of the foods you normally wouldn't think are bad, etc.

Really need to get back to the gym. I probably need to put the Flash Dance soundtrack on my mp3 player. That ought to do it.

Bringin this thread back to the top. Isn't the contest over after the PE exam this weekend?

I'm weighing in at 178 right now. Can I make 3 more lbs (my goal) by the weekend?

Pretty confident I weigh more than I started due to a combination of factors (health, stress, schedule, etc). I did find out why I probably wasn't losing when exercising though. Without going into detail, some of the numbers from my blood work were way off from where they should be in regards to my thyroid and vitamin levels, all of which work heavily against me metabolically. Once I get those back down, I'm going to try again.

I'm weighing in at 182 this morning, started around 195. Goal was 165. That ain't happening now. Back injury and all, the working out just isn't well... working.

Supe - having a thyroid problem can be a HUGE factor in weight gain. Glad you went to the Dr. and found that out. Hope the meds / etc. are working and you feel better. Good Luck.

I'm weighing in at 182 this morning, started around 195. Goal was 165. That ain't happening now. Back injury and all, the working out just isn't well... working.
Supe - having a thyroid problem can be a HUGE factor in weight gain. Glad you went to the Dr. and found that out. Hope the meds / etc. are working and you feel better. Good Luck.
Having had Thyroid cancer and a full thyroidectomy, I was doing really well for a while. However, my TSH levels have gradually crept up, while my vitamin D among others have dropped way down. Both can be corrected easily with a change in my pill regiment, but it does explain quite a bit. Does make weight loss a major pain if not impossible though!

Now I'm just waiting to kick the sinus infection and get my chest back in working order so I can hit the gym again.

TD -- 13 lbs is pretty good!

I'm pretty happy, even though I started at 185 in Nov, I crept up to 190 and almost 195 after the holidays in January. So I am feeling pretty stoked right now. Thank you, Men's Health! That, and lots and lots of cycling...

I've been taking advantage of the spring weather to ride my mountain bike instead of chugging away on the exercise bike in the basement. I've found a nice 15 mile loop on not-too-heavily traveled roads near my house.

Today will be day 820 of working out every single day.

Is the new book pretty good? Contemplated picking it up myself. A pseudo-atkins diet is how I lost all the weight to begin with, but I always have a hard time determining things like portion size, some of the foods you normally wouldn't think are bad, etc.

Really need to get back to the gym. I probably need to put the Flash Dance soundtrack on my mp3 player. That ought to do it.
I like it. I never really read the first book, so I understand better now what I need to do. I need to stay in the induction phase longer because I want to drop 40-50, but you need to be sure to get your carbs from foundation vegtables like cauliflower and broccoli and salad. I didn't really know what I was doing the last time I tried low carb and I gained it back pretty fast when I got bored with it. I like the fact that I can have bacon and eggs every morning, and I never really feel deprived.

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family, or at least for my overweight siblings, so this approach makes sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like it. I never really read the first book, so I understand better now what I need to do. I need to stay in the induction phase longer because I want to drop 40-50, but you need to be sure to get your carbs from foundation vegtables like cauliflower and broccoli and salad. I didn't really know what I was doing the last time I tried low carb and I gained it back pretty fast when I got bored with it. I like the fact that I can have bacon and eggs every morning, and I never really feel deprived.

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family, or at least for my overweight siblings, so this approach makes sense to me.
Glad to hear it. With my insulin resistance problems, it seems like the best diet-type approach for me to take. It was a spin of the Atkins that helped me lose it all to begin with.

This sounds like the diet advice i'm following in this 4-week plan I read in Men's Health Big Book of Exercises. I'm in week 2 right now, and I agree I love that I can have a big breakfast every morning! I'm been digging the veggies too amazingly, I don't have cravings for all the crap I used to eat.

So do we need to post our official weights now that we are at the deadline? 178 and holding...I might get to 175 in a few more weeks!

Who is going to continue with the "competition"? I am finally getting motivated to actually get to my goal. It is really getting nice out now and am loving riding my bike.

So far i have been bringing it to work with me and riding home. My wife is working right across the street and we start at the same time so that is convenient. As soon as it is not in the 30s at 6, I will ride to work as well. I am starting to look for the long way home to get in a couple of extra miles each day.

I hope everyone else continues to get in better shape.

I also pledged to the pound for pound challenge. I am a fan of the biggest loser.

Currently at 213.

Who is going to continue with the "competition"? I am finally getting motivated to actually get to my goal. It is really getting nice out now and am loving riding my bike.
So far i have been bringing it to work with me and riding home. My wife is working right across the street and we start at the same time so that is convenient. As soon as it is not in the 30s at 6, I will ride to work as well. I am starting to look for the long way home to get in a couple of extra miles each day.

I hope everyone else continues to get in better shape.

I also pledged to the pound for pound challenge. I am a fan of the biggest loser.

Currently at 213.

I say we keep it going. This thread has actually been a pretty big motivator for me, as crazy as that sounds.

Back