Dumb question here...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooo....engineer fight! :popcorn:
InternetToughGuy.preview.jpg

1% can be the difference in life or death in some cases. Yes I can think of examples....I'm in the nuclear business. I got too much studying to do so no time to argue. I'll agree to disagree.
Fair enough... keep your head down!

That's a good point.
I tend to deal with site plans. So you see roads and slopes and pipes all to be built to some % grade. I'm used to thinking of it as the contractor's grade is 1 or 2% higher or lower as being off by 1%.

What you're describing is what I'm used to hearing called 'tolerances'. 1/4" per every 10' or something like that.
Yeah... we're talking about the difference between using 32.17 vs 32.088 in an equation. I didn't word it very well. It's like the difference between a design spec saying to use a 5% slope and you used a 5.05% slope. No one's going to die over this!

That sounds an awful lot like "programming"... and you know what us Real™ Engineers think about software developers!
:poop:
Actually, the calculation I'm working on right now is for a plant that has just damn near no operating margin. There are parts of this thing where the level of detail is moronic but the client set the rules and is paying the bills.....

Actually, the calculation I'm working on right now is for a plant that has just damn near no operating margin. There are parts of this thing where the level of detail is moronic but the client set the rules and is paying the bills.....
My favorite clients!

I know a 'software engineer'. I love waiving my PE-ness in front of him.
I commend you!

No, I don't think so... I've never seen a problem that had two answers within 1% of each other! Not even close to 1%...

Yes, you CERTAINLY don't need to worry about anything like this on the exam. Questions never vary by this level of precision.

As far as real world scenarios go, I suppose that's what factors of safety are for.

I know a 'software engineer'. I love waiving my PE-ness in front of him.

I've never understood that, as I thought in a lot of jurisdictions it was not legal practice to refer to one as an "engineer" unless they had the professional credentials to back it up.

I realize the term "software engineer" is common and widespread, but as an EIT, we were NEVER allowed to refer to ourselves as engineers. We were designers...or some other pseudo-term...but NEVER engineer. That was one of the perks of passing...getting your business card changed from designer to engineer! :spboba:

I've never understood that, as I thought in a lot of jurisdictions it was not legal practice to refer to one as an "engineer" unless they had the professional credentials to back it up.
I realize the term "software engineer" is common and widespread, but as an EIT, we were NEVER allowed to refer to ourselves as engineers. We were designers...or some other pseudo-term...but NEVER engineer. That was one of the perks of passing...getting your business card changed from designer to engineer! :spboba:

I could not agree more. I know it sounds petty, but it took me ten years of very hard work to become a licensed engineer. It is a noble profession that is thousands of years old, and only those who meet the standards should be allowed to use the title.

I could not agree more. I know it sounds petty, but it took me ten years of very hard work to become a licensed engineer. It is a noble profession that is thousands of years old, and only those who meet the standards should be allowed to use the title.
wait...does that mean janitors can no longer call themselves "sanitation engineers?"

Back