Dumb Names for Equipment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ventilator

Reaction score
I'm sure anyone here who works around process equipment has seen some goofy names for the equipment based on its function. I ran across one yesterday that I think will be hard to beat. The equipment is labeled "Lowerator" and you guessed it, it takes things from up high on a conveyor and puts them onto a lower conveyor. I'm not talking about some operator calling it that as a joke, it has a giant permanent sign above it and shows up on the CAD drawings with the same name.

Whats the dumbest name you've seen on a piece of equipment?

I think the Flowbee is right up there...

Peckerhead for a terminal connector on an electric motor has got to be right up there......

The Clapper. It's a sound activated switch that will turn electrical devices on and off when you clap your hands.

The Fleshlight. It's a ......never mind.

Clacker, as in the initiation device to detonate a claymore. Name must come from the sound it makes when you squeeze it, but I don't know if that is official terminology or just what soldiers started calling it.

That's exactly where the name came from, but it isn't the official terminology (which is something like xxx initiator, but my memory is hazy right now).

Google fu - Official name for Clacker is M57 Firing Device.

The "hole finder":

otheq_holfndr.jpg

We would stick this on the end of an instrument sonde to help make sure it made it down the hole in an oil & gas well.

Of course, in the field this was just known as a "donkey dick". We also had donkey dicks with french ticklers, but forgive me for not googling that one.

Back