Dude!!! WTF

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sschell

Dude?
Reaction score
Well... I think I managed to break my indestructable dog. And not in a good way. This is the same dog that has eaten w full wall worth of dry wall, the fiberglass insulation blanket off our water heater, and a cost co size box of oxyclean.. all with no ill effect.

On Sunday I took him on a hike. Not a particularly long hike, it was 5.5 miles, sholter than the 7 mile hike that we did the weekend before. This hike also had less elevation gain than the previous one. It was hotter on Sunday than the week before, and there was less shade this time around.

So we are hiking along, and the dog makes it clear that he needs a break. We find a good shade tree and sit to rest for 30 minutes or so, then continue on. About a half mile later, he just plops down and refuses to get back up for about 20 minutes. when he finally gets back up, he is walking very slow, but still trudging along. every time there is a bush casting a shadow, he lays down in the shade and refuses to move for a while... it got to the point where I decided to carry the 65 lb beast for a 1/4 mile or so before I decided that was a stupid idea.

Anyways, we finally made it back to the car and went home. He took it really easy for the rest of the day, doing his best to stay off his feet.

Monday (yesterday) morning he had obviously not improved, and seemed to have gotten worse. When he tried to walk, his legs were very shakey, and he had alot of trouble standing up at all. he even eats and drinks while laying down. By the end of the day, his spirits had lifted some, but he was definately not mobile.

This morning we took him to the vet, as his situation had not really improved. The vet decided that the problem was a bacterial and yeast infection in his paws... WTF?!? how does a yeast and bacterial infection just pop up in the middle of a walk? I hope the medicine the vet perscribed will work, but I am skeptical... It doesn't seem to make sense. He has always had skin problems, especially in his paws, and they have never slowed him down before, and I have seen them look much worse than they are now.

So... What do you think? What did I do to my poor animal? Will he ever be the same again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes perfect sense to me.... Think about if you have a blister on your foot... the more you aggrevate that thing that was just annoying in the morning... the harder it is to walk around.

the dog may have an iron stomach, but if there was any sort of infection or sore on the pad, or in between the pad (where you can't see), the dog will sense that and start licking the area and make it more raw and more sore until it got to the point where it just hurt.

We have a lot of paw injuries in our house because the dogs are so active, and they stay off them until they heal and are back to running wild after a few days...Ana had 14 stitches just a few months ago on the large pad of her paw...

If you take the dog for walks in the woods, you may want to consider shoes... or at least start wrapping the paws with coflex for the longer walks. (I do this if I am going further then a mile on roadway walks).

I think EG is right on the mark here.

I've got an old rescue that gets mysterious ailments that will have him at death's door one week, then running around like a puppy the next. The vet is pretty much stumped, though we now have a list of untreatable syndromes that might be the answer, most found only in a necropsy. We need a dog to human translator!

Weird. I hope the medication works for him. Poor guy.

A box of oxyclean? Are you serious????

I think EG is right on the mark here.
I've got an old rescue that gets mysterious ailments that will have him at death's door one week, then running around like a puppy the next. The vet is pretty much stumped, though we now have a list of untreatable syndromes that might be the answer, most found only in a necropsy. We need a dog to human translator!
Yeah.. he's a rescue too, and has all sorts of wierd skin problems. but he also has a very high tolerance for pain, which is what worries me, his paws must really be painful to slow him down!

when he gets better you should see if you can get him a spot on My Dog Ate I am a Gigantic DoucheBag
did not know about that show.. he would be perfect for that!

Weird. I hope the medication works for him. Poor guy.
A box of oxyclean? Are you serious????
yep... a big box!

sorry to hear about that sschell

I run with our dog, a border collie, last winter she refused to run anymore about half way into a 5 mile run and I looked and she had a huge crack in her paw, i fealt terrible for even making her walk the last 2 or 3 miles back, we got some stuff from the vet and even a little sock thing which she wouldnt wear but she got better in a few weeks..

When he tries to stand now he looks like bambi in the scene on the frozen pond... its so sad and pathetic that its cute.

Poor pooch!!

He should get better. Besides, I'm sure he's loving all of the attention!!!

If it were really hot, and the dog was running, it could have been on the verge of Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC) which can be genetic.

We have had luck with the boots on hunting dogs around burs and rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked my chocolate Lab around the college near where we live in the winter a lot because it is well lit and plowed. One Saturday morning, we went out in a snow storm. For a while, I just thought the cold was getting to him, as he was favoring one paw. Then at one point he yelped and hit the deck. I found a thorn stuck in an already split paw pad. I helped him home kinda gingerly and we worked the thorn out.

I've had two surgeries on a bad toe, I respect how much feet can hurt.

Hope your pooch feels better.

So sad. Sorry to hear about your buddy. My dog has had a thorn stuck in his foot as well. Once we took it out he stopped limping. I would get a second opinion as well. How can an infection start so quickly. Is your dog susceptible to heat stroke? My bully gets like that when he is hot but as soon as he cools off he is better.

Ah yes... turns out he had really bad blisters on the pads of all four paws.... they are healing well and he is back to his usual crazy self... which is nice. It is amazing how much energy that dog has!

Good news Sschell!

I never thought of my Labs as being particularly energetic, just active dogs, until I took a month long condensed grad class that took up all my spare night and weekend time. Meaning no hiking, trips to the park, or playing around at the dock. My wife was pretty busy during this time as well.

Those guys are insane!

In other news, the black one gets so excited to see me when I get home from class at 10:45 that she piddles herself in the entryway. Nothing I like more after a looooong day of school and work than cleaning pee off the floor and/or my shoe.

Back