DSi vs. PSP

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momech

Reaction score
Along the lines of the Kindle vs. Nook thread, I'm thinking about getting my 8 yo daughter and 5 yo son portable game/video/audio devices for Christmas. I've been looking at the Sony PSP 3000 and Nintendo DSi XL. I think my daughter would really enjoy using the built-in camera on the DSi a lot. What are your thoughts? Is there another device that's better than these? I'd rather get some kind of Android tablet, but they seem MUCH more expensive to get one of decent quality.

my three kids (11,9,7) al have the dsi, they like the cameras, internet ability (limited although) and the way you can play multiple people on the dsi's (same game) if they are all in the same room...

I think the PSP would be better for older kids based on the games I have seen, but I think personally they have cooler games on the PSP

(if that makes any sense)

my three kids (11,9,7) al have the dsi, they like the cameras, internet ability (limited although) and the way you can play multiple people on the dsi's (same game) if they are all in the same room...
I think the PSP would be better for older kids based on the games I have seen, but I think personally they have cooler games on the PSP

(if that makes any sense)
How much is the internet limited? I've read that you can't watch youtube, which my daughter really likes. Other than that? I guess it can't play anything with Adobe Flash.

it chops of the screens on the edges and you cant zoom in and out like an ipod touch, its more for getting nintendo point downloads and other stuff I believe, I know the youtube thing was the biggest complaint from my older one..

they seem to have fun taking pictures and then you can draw on them and send them to people, apparantly that is something they find unusually funny, like a pic of there brother and then they draw devil horns and such,, apparantly it didnt get less funny after time # 500...

I hadn't really thought about the ipod touch. It's not much more expensive (8 gb model) than the DSi XL.

For that age group, I would expect that the DSi would be the better choice. The PSP is targeted more toward an older age group. The library on the DS is immense too.

The DSi seems a little tougher to me, too. I know severl kids, including my daughter, with broken or partially broken PSPs. I know tons of kids with DS/DSi's and none of them are broken.

I went with the DSi XL for my 5 yo boy and the iPod Touch 8GB for my 8 yo daughter. They both love them. I feel like I've been duped by the accidental damage protection plans, but my wife insisted.

I went with the DSi XL for my 5 yo boy and the iPod Touch 8GB for my 8 yo daughter. They both love them. I feel like I've been duped by the accidental damage protection plans, but my wife insisted.
Get the Nerf case for the DSi, and it is pretty good about protecting them when they are thrown. We even got the DSi replaced for free once within the 90 day window when my son through it after failing on Super Mario Bros world 8. Nintendo replaced it when I assured them it couldn't be damaged from handling due to the Nerf Case. They thought it was a faulty charger. We haven't had any problems since, and the 5 year old has gotten much better with temper when failing.

Back