droid phone

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Hubby is thinking about getting a droid phone. His current phone (samsung omina (sp?)) is acting up something awful and the reception stinks.

Anyone have the droid? how do you like it?

Mr snick would be breaking his contract early to get it so he is looking for feedback to see if it is worth the $300.

I absolutely love my droid. It was 149 with the 2 year contract and I think it's been worth every penny.

There is some common confusion in terms out there, Droid is a specific phone made by Motorola with runs the Android operating system.

I have a HTC Eris, with runs the Android op system and I think it was a very signifigant improvement over my Blackberry Curve.

What I like:

TONS of apps that do things that are helpful

The Google Navigator works as well or better than my Garmin GPS with driving directions.

I have all my contacts synced with my Gmail account, it is seamless and very easy to delete duplicates and keep things straight. Plus I can do most of the organizing on my Laptop then just sync the phone and it applies all the updates.

I can use my phone as a modem for Zero additional charges. Thats right it saves me money because I don't need an air card anymore.

Browser actually runs fast enough on 3G to make surfing the internet viable.

The wireless option makes steaming video viable and I find it useful.

The layout of the screens will all the icons are very nice

Has a real RPN calculator and unit converter app I use constantly, the camera is way nicer than the Blackberry too.

Came with like a 8 Gig memory card, I have all my itunes on it and it works well as a MP3 player.

What I don't like:

The phone itself is not great, I won't go into every quibble, but suffice it to say the Blackberry never gave me any issues placing or receiving calls, not the case with the Eris.

Battery life sucks, especially if you leave GPS, Wireless or Bluetooth on, the processor is pretty fast though and the Eris is slim so it is a trade off.

My Blackberry had a feature that would allow it to turn off automatically each night at like 1 am and back on at 5 am. The Eris does not, this was helpful for battery life and made the Blackberry phone run better by rebooting each day, I wish I could do this with my Eris

Overall while the Eris/Android op system does a lot of things, it is not a completely stable system, it will freeze up and need a hard reboot from time to time, this is usually when I am running apps or something, it has become much more stable since I updated to version 2.3 but there are still some issues.

These aren't the droids you're looking for...

jedimind.jpg

Mr. Snick is a field service guy so his phone is like a computer for him. The perfect mobile office that fits in a pocket. His company only pays for a new phone every 3 yrs, so it would be a 1.5 yr until they pay again. he is getting that annoyed with his phone that he would be willing to dish out $300 out of his own pocket.

I just ordered a Droid from Amazon and should get it in the mail today. It was only $0.01 with a 2 year contract. I thought that was a pretty good deal , and a reasonable upgrade from my 2005 Motorola RAZR.

I paid $100 for my Eris like 10 months ago. I think it was worth the money.

Would I have paid $300? No and if I did I would probably have returned it, given the issues I had with previous (v1.6) versions of the Android operating system.

Windows Phone 7 should be released in a couple months...might be worth waiting to check it out if he can stand it.

Back