driver population factor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If Fp is given as 1, but the problem also states that 90% are local, with the remaining being through traffic and recreational traffic to a nearby park, do you use 1 or .9 as Fp? It didn't effect the LOS, but could if the volume was different. I used .9 since the statement gave evidence that a lower value could be used. 

I think you are correct in either usage.

I would use Fp = 1.00 because it was given to you in the problem statement. Always use what is given.

The problem doesn't say that 10% are recreational traffic, it says 10% are through traffic AND rec traffic. The rec traffic is what will effect LOS, not the through traffic. Since you don't have enough information to make the adjustment, I would stick with 1.00

Yea that's true. If it gave a specific % for recreational traffic then I could move from the default.

Read the problem, but don't read INTO the problem.

The exam will be more clear though.

[SIZE= 16px]TRB HCM 2010 regarding Driver Population Factor, fp[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]page 10-19:[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]‘The driver population factor is normally 1.00, unless the driver population is dominated by unfamiliar users, in which case a value between 0.85 and 1.00 is assigned, on the basis of local characteristics and knowledge.’[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]page 11-18:[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]‘In general, the analyst should use a value of 1.00, which reflects commuters or otherwise-accustomed drivers, unless there is sufficient evidence that a lower value should be used.’[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]page 11-21:[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Exh 11-16.  [/SIZE]Required Data: Driver population factor;  Default Value: 1.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Back