Drinking on the job

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not condoning this, but anyone who has any knowledge of the effects of alcohol can vouch that one, two, or three in the course of a typical 8 hour day (and most construction projects work more than 8 hours) would not have a significant effect on a person's performance.

Not to mention, that in Europe most countries have no drinking age and beer/wine with meals is very common.

Just more sensationalist journalism prompted by a Puritan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just more sensationalist journalism prompted by a Puritan.
^This.

The writer can't be so naive to see this stuff happens all the time. I've seen contractors taking a shot or two of the hard stuff at the 9:15 AM coffee break, or spend an hour getting sloshed at lunchtime at the bar. I was an office boy at a construction firm in college, guys would swing by the shop to pick up a vehicle or equipment or whatever from time to time during the day and grab a Bud Light out of the fridge in the garage.

I don't condone the practice, but to make it seem like this is the first time this has happened in 30 years on the job is silly.

Back