Don't Sell Yourself Short!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just scanning through these responses makes me realize why Engineers are so underpaid relative to the amount to education and effort required. I hate to be cold - but engineers are sheep. bbbbbbbaaaaahhhhhhh. (not all but most)
Engineering is a business (and a profession). Treat it like one. Go work for a contractor for a while - that will help change your perspective. Don't be sentimental, don't be stupid, don't be weak. Be a professional and demand to get paid like one. The rest will take care of itself. Don't be afraid to start your own business either - if you aren't sure that you have the ability to do it what good is a PE, really?

That's it - congratulations to all who passed.
I believe the problem is bigger than your assumption. If engineers are sheepish, then they need to have powerful representation because you can't single out an engineer and ask him/her to stand up for the pay he or she deserves. It's just nonsense. The problem, as told from my college professor, is that it's the power set forth by those that represent the field in congress. It's over my head, but it certainly is a commodity currently. If the NSPE was a required fee/membership after obtaining the P.E. (much like it is for teachers), then there would be an organized representation for engineers on a national level. BUT, I'm not one to promote unions. Just take a look at the UAW-terrible union.

[Rant on]: Tell me why a guy can spend two freaking years in an IT vocational building with a half-baked effort and make $75k/yr. It's rediculous. I've only been able to crack $66k/yr and I've been out of school for 8.5 years now. Now M.S., but I passed the civil P.E. with relative ease about 2 years ago. [Rant off]

Wow dannybopper, how do you really feel? I agree that it would be moronic to walk in to your boss's office and demand a raise for passing the PE. I think between the raise for passing the PE and the promotion I received (which I was elegible for only with the PE) I received about an 8% raise last year. Plus my annual merit increase and I had a total raise of about 15% last year all within a couple of months. Most big consulting firms pay market value, which means whatever the same position down the street is getting paid. To pay more means they have to have higher billing rates to make up for the payroll burden, which means they get less work, which means they have an unsustainable business model. With my firm, the only salary negotiations that occur are when you threaten to quit and that ain't a good idea right now. And I can honestly say that they pay better than most similar firms, not so much more as to be unsustainable, but more to be the empoyer of choice and attract the best talent. We as engineers are a commodity profession. If you don't like it I would choose another career.
its just that the whole premise of the topic is dumb. if engineers are so bad at negotiations, and an engineer is most likely the person you are going to negotiate with, then what? it is dumb and i just dont like when people generalize things and try to get people all fired up. he came accross as almost a union type rant.

basically it comes down to this. you are paid based on performance. if you are worth $50k a year to the company, then they are going to pay you $50k. if you are busting your hump and bringing in work and are worth $150k, then they are going to pay you $150k. of course there are exceptions to the rule, but this is generally how it works. Having a PE doesnt make you any more productive or valuable to your firm.

I hate to be one of those "it all depends" types but really it does.

If you're in a big company then I would expect an increase.

If you're in a small company then advancement in the company could be more beneficial.

My theory about work is: "make yourself essential, and then they can't afford to be without you".

But I'm young so I have plenty of time to work out the details with the company I work for ;)

I hate to be one of those "it all depends" types but really it does.
If you're in a big company then I would expect an increase.

If you're in a small company then advancement in the company could be more beneficial.

My theory about work is: "make yourself essential, and then they can't afford to be without you".

But I'm young so I have plenty of time to work out the details with the company I work for ;)

I totally agree with you on that one. :thumbs:

Back