Do NOT Try to do Your Job Early!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
Or your @ss is going to jail! At least that's how it is in Atlanta. LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/garbage-man-sentenced-30-days-jail-picking-trash-001158483.html

Well this is garbage.
A sanitation worker in an Atlanta suburb has been sentenced to 30 days in jail for working too early.

Kevin McGill had been working for only a few months for a company contracted to do sanitation work in Sandy Springs when he was cited for picking up trash just after 5 a.m. one morning, according to WSB-TV.

That violated a city ordinance which limits trash pickup to between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. The statute is in place because residents have complained that early pick-up disrupts their sleep.

When McGill showed up to court to answer the citation, Sandy Springs prosecutor Bill Riley sought the maximum punishment against him — 30 days in jail.

And in a trashy move, a judge granted Riley the request.

“Fines don’t seem to work,” Riley told WSB. “The only thing that seems to stop the activity is actually going to jail.”

Riley, who jailed another sanitation worker for the same infraction last year, said that residents swamp 911 with calls when trash pick-up occurs too early in the morning.

“The solicitor said it’s automatic jail time,” McGill told WSB. “He didn’t want to hear nothing I had to say. I said it’s my first time.”

“I was stunned. I didn’t know what to think. I was shocked,” he added.

McGill, a family man, did not have an attorney during his sentencing. He pleaded no contest and took the punishment, agreeing to serve his 30 days spread out on the weekends. He began serving the sentence last weekend and will do so for 14 more.

“I just want this to be over with,” McGill told WSB. “I’m away from my family, my wife, and she’s got to take care of the two little boys and I have four dogs.”

McGill has an attorney now, and she believes the sentence is too harsh.

“Give him a warning,” the lawyer, Kimberly Bandoh, told WSB. “I mean he’s the employee. He’s not the employer. Sentencing him to jail is doing what?”

But Riley appears to be unmoved, saying that McGill, and not his employer, is responsible for operating his own garbage truck.

“The company doesn’t start that truck up,” Riley told WSB. “The company doesn’t drive that truck down the street.”

Jail time for violating a noise ordinance?

How about you put the assholes in jail who call 9-1-f*cking-1 for misuse of an EMERGENCY SERVICE.

lots of uppity uppity types in Sandy Springs- while I don't think the punishment doesn't fit the crime, 5 AM is a little early to be banging trash cans around..

What? Did this guy show up late for court or something?

It's not uncommon for road workers to start too early. They don't consider warming up their equipment as starting work, but the residents really don't like having a front end loader revving up in front of their house at 6:30am even though the "work" doesn't start for another 30 min.

It's not uncommon for road workers to start too early. They don't consider warming up their equipment as starting work, but the residents really don't like having a front end loader revving up in front of their house at 6:30am even though the "work" doesn't start for another 30 min.
yet, they are the same people bitching when the road job takes a week longer. No pleasing people. they all suck

I think the average home cost in Sandy Springs is around 800,000. If that tells you about that kind of stuck up whiny people that live there

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to find a job that let's me get up after 5:30 in the morning and own an $800,000 home...

Lucky for me though when I forget to take the garbage out the night before, I'm up early enough to beat the garbage man so we don't have to wait until next week to get rid of the garbage. The neighbors know better than to complain about me dragging the cans to the end of the driveway on Monday morning (which is much louder than the garbage man) mostly because their already up too.

I think the average home cost in Sandy Springs is around 800,000. If that tells you about that kind of stuck up whiny people that live there

In that case, I would say that the garbage route starts at X hour, and all homes driven past before the hours of X will not have garbage collected in accordance with local ordinances...

What a bunch of crap! I can see issuing a fine to his employer. Nothing more than that.

My guess is that the city has a contract with the employer and they know that any fine issued would come back to them in the form of a rate increase.

Other then the mayor, city manager, and the police department, there is not a single city employee in Sandy Springs. The entire local government is outsourced to a consulting firm.

Latest posts

Back