Do I need to bring a copy of the NEC?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2keylargo

Reaction score
I don't use the NEC in my job - I work for an electric utility (we use the NESC). Therefore, I know little of what is in the NEC. Do I need to bring a copy of the NEC into the exam? Will I need to look up a lot of stuff in it? :f_115m_e45d7af:

I see from another post that you are an EE. Which PM module are you taking? If you are taking the power module you will definitely need the NEC. Per the exam specs, expect approximately 6 questions on the NEC on the exam. Possibly one question on the NESC.

We have had an argument here before on whether you need the NEC if you are not taking the power afternoon module. My opinion is you do not, but others feel you do. The thread is here. The published exam specifications do not call for the NEC on any other portion of the EE exam.

I'm taking Power in the afternoon. Guess I better get a current copy. I've got a 2002 I think is the newest. I'll get my co to buy it. I'm not used to looking up much in there - how familiar should I be with finding stuff? What are they looking for - it's a damn big book. I know my way around the NESC - i think i could find anything in there, but the NEC I look at once every 3 months.

I think the fall exam will use the 2005 code, but check the NCEES website to be sure. I also work for a utility and had never really even looked at the NEC prior to studying for the PE exam. In my opinion the code questions are not super difficult, but mainly just time consuming to be able to sift through the book and find what you need to answer the question. Because of this, I highly recommend getting a copy of the NEC Handbook rather than just the code itself, because the added commentary in the Handbook proved very helpful and time-saving in finding the other sections of the code relevant to a specific question. It also helps if you have a head for the legalese and the bass-ackwards logic of the way the thing is laid out. I read somewhere (probably here on EB) that the NEC is "an engineering code written by lawyers".

In my case, I didn't worry too much about prepping for the code questions--since I was not at all familiar with it and given the study time constraints I had I figured it was more efficient to spend my study time on other topics. On exam day, I saved all the code questions for the end, so I didn't chew up valuable time trying to find answers in the code book. I'm glad I did because I was able to take the time to dig into the code book without feeling rushed to get an answer. I think I ended up taking about 45 minutes to answer all the code questions at the end.

There are others here on EB that spent a lot more time prepping for the code questions that may be able to give you more detailed advice. If nothing else I suggest checking out the Electrical Exam Prep forum and look for threads on the NEC.

I couldn't agree more about getting the Handbook. I also suggest a copy of Ugly's Electrical References. It will give you quick access to a lot of the tables you might need out of the NEC, as well as a couple of others that might be handy.

Thanks! I'm going to borrow a copy of the NEC Handbook - I haven't looked at a handbook before, just the NEC itself. It is difficult to find stuff in it, I think. I'm very used to the NESC. 45 minutes on 6 questions - that's not too bad I guess - 7.5 min/question average....

I agree the handbook is better than the code book. I think if you can obtain a 'Motor Data Calculator' from SquareD (GE has them also) it is handy (slide rule type thing), gives you quick access to Motor FLA, wire ampacities, conduit sizing (EMT only!), and transformer info (standard sizes & ampacites at common voltages). Ugly's is good as well (I like their power factor correction table, gets a balpark kVA quick). Its better to have a reference like these just so you have less pages to flip through (code or handbook is big), especially for those not real familar with the NEC.

My :2cents:

The handbook is better for some one not familiar with the NEC. You need to take the book and tab the major sections or you will wasting a lot of time. I use the NEC regularly and I spent the money for the Tabs. This will get you close the you will have to start reading to find the proper section. I also used a NEMA pocket reference that was a freebee from one of the local motor shops that was also useful. I used my code book on morning and afternoon during the April test. I took the power option and passed on first attempt after being out of school for 24 years.

Back