Do I have a chance in PA?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul S

Meow
Reaction score
With all of the great advice in this forum I hope that I can get some more! I have a BS in ME from an ABET accredited program, passed the EIT in 1995, and have been working for the same company since I was an intern there in 1994, then started full time in 1996 after graduation. I have been doing structural engineering for the past 13 years. It seems from what I have learned from these forums that so far, this is no big deal. I hope to be able to take the civil/structural PE this fall and have started studying already.

Here is where it may get tricky. I work at a company that is involved in providing structures for the entertainment industry and the company does not have a PE on staff. Some of the events last year included structures that supported many tons of equipment over the President and the Pope, which I would consider high profile structures (the wind is not my friend!). The company provides a mix of temporary custom structures and permanent structures. I do the design and engineering for these projects, compile the reports and submit them to various PE's that we use in the state where our project is located for review and stamp. There is always supervision provided from the PE's when working on these projects, and I believe I have been well guided by them. Five of these PE's are willing to be references on my application (PA requires 3 of 5 refs be PE's).

My fear is that the PA board will not accept my experience since I do not have a PE as my immediate supervisor. The board not accepting all 13 years is fine, as long as they can accept 4 of those years. I first thought of applying in CT which does not seem to focus on "direct supervisor being a PE". Then if I was able to take and pass the exam I would just apply for reciprocity in PA. But then I still have to fill out the same apps to get reciprocity in PA, so why not just try PA first? Do I have a chance in PA to sit for the PE?? Passing is a different story, but at least I have some control over that! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Best thing to do would be to contact the PA board and try to get their input. The problem might be that they will not give you an answer until they consider your application. Most of my experience was not under a PE. I think if you explain that you work under PE supervision during some projects they SHOULD accept that. For the most part, boards are reasonable. Good luck.

Thanks for the response Mary. You are correct, the response form the board is that they need to review the application to answer that question. I will just have to wait and see!

I suggest when you submit your application, you send it with cover letter explaining your situation and experience the best you can.

Getting through the paperwork is stressful, but it just takes some time. I never worked directly for a PE. My references were from others that I worked with, and a form that basically stated that I did not have a supervior who was a PE. Once all the forms were submitted I was approved. The process was not automatic, I had to keep following up with the state board to make sure that they had everything they needed, but it was worth the effort.

Well I can finally give an update on my application to sit for the PE submitted last June (yes many months ago).

I do have a chance in PA and I have been approved to take the exam!!! This is great.

Now to start studying.......

Back