Do Cut Scores Vary State By State?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows whether cut scores vary state by state? Would a state board consider a lower cut score as opposed to the people who receive results straight from NCEES? I'm trying to figure out why my results need to go through my board (Iowa) first.

most states have their boards bylaws written so that they can adopt the scores from NCEES or set their own. I have NOT heard of any case where a state did not adopt NCEES's scores as pass/fail.

I'd say the reason given above is a good one for that

Some states like to gut you for more money with your passing letter. I am not sure if Iowa does this.

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether cut scores vary state by state? Would a state board consider a lower cut score as opposed to the people who receive results straight from NCEES? I'm trying to figure out why my results need to go through my board (Iowa) first.
Also being from Iowa, I think it is very frustrating that South Carolina found out on December 15, and we're still waiting, almost 3 weeks later. According to the Executive Secretary at the Board, they received results from EES on December 24. I was reassured that, since it is their busiest time of the year, they would be trying very hard to get all the data entered into the system. They would begin this process on Monday, December 31, a whole week after they received results. Boy, am I sure glad they're doing everything they can to let us know our results ASAP.

Also being from Iowa, I think it is very frustrating that South Carolina found out on December 15, and we're still waiting, almost 3 weeks later. According to the Executive Secretary at the Board, they received results from EES on December 24. I was reassured that, since it is their busiest time of the year, they would be trying very hard to get all the data entered into the system. They would begin this process on Monday, December 31, a whole week after they received results. Boy, am I sure glad they're doing everything they can to let us know our results ASAP.

Well, I am waiting with you. I am waiting for SE results in Illinois.

Back