Distance Relay Problem CramForThePE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For this 4th sample exam you are developing, how do you think it will compare to a CBT Power exam? NCEES has the Power exam tentatively scheduled to transition in 2021.

Based on how other exams have transitioned, NCEES may provided the only approved reference book. Do you feel like the breadth of problems in the NCEES test bank will be reduced since it's difficult to reduce the standard 20+ references that examinees normally bring into a single reference? Do you still plan on keeping your reference book in print, even though it may not be allowed during the exam?
I plan to keep the books in print. All I could really do is rely on feedback from people who take the test and tell me how it compares. This fourth volume will probably be my last though. 
All I know about is the FE transition. I never heard of any PE test yet going this way. My hunch is they will probably still let you come in with as many books as you want. 

I plan to keep the books in print. All I could really do is rely on feedback from people who take the test and tell me how it compares. This fourth volume will probably be my last though. 
All I know about is the FE transition. I never heard of any PE test yet going this way. My hunch is they will probably still let you come in with as many books as you want. 
The mechanical PE exam has already transitioned, and this is what NCEES has on their website:

Screenshot_20200312-173512.png

Here is the CBT schedule:

https://ncees.org/exams/cbt/

Last edited by a moderator:
The mechanical PE exam has already transitioned, and this is what NCEES has on their website:

View attachment 16745

Here is the CBT schedule:

https://ncees.org/exams/cbt/
Interesting. I did not know about this. So they will probably follow the mechanical and only allow their book in the exam. I will change to my questions to Follow the format of the "alternative questions". It looks like there will still be 80 questions. I don't understand when they say you won't be penalized for wrong answers

Well shoot, as soon as I Google "distance protection infeed," and then "distance protection of mutli terminal transmission lines" I get tons of resources. NERC even has a paper with this is exact same scenario. None of my protection books cover this topic. Though, I don't have Blackburn's book on me at the moment, so he may or may not cover it.

I don't understand when they say you won't be penalized for wrong answers
I've never really understood why this still has to be pointed out. In my entire life I've never taken an exam where a question would count against you if you got it wrong. However, I think this used to be a thing back in the day. A long time ago my dad told me a story (that he thinks is hilarious) about a test he took in grade school. The teacher said they would only be graded on the questions they answered, and the ones they got wrong would count against them, but unanswered ones would not (which seems bizarre to me). So he, with the logical mindset he had that eventually led him into engineering, found a question he knew how to answer 100% and answered only that question! His reasoning was that they weren't graded on questions they didn't answer, and the teacher never specified how many questions they needed to answer. So if he got this one question right, he would get a 100 on the test.

He had to retake the test.

I've never really understood why this still has to be pointed out. In my entire life I've never taken an exam where a question would count against you if you got it wrong. However, I think this used to be a thing back in the day. A long time ago my dad told me a story (that he thinks is hilarious) about a test he took in grade school. The teacher said they would only be graded on the questions they answered, and the ones they got wrong would count against them, but unanswered ones would not (which seems bizarre to me). So he, with the logical mindset he had that eventually led him into engineering, found a question he knew how to answer 100% and answered only that question! His reasoning was that they weren't graded on questions they didn't answer, and the teacher never specified how many questions they needed to answer. So if he got this one question right, he would get a 100 on the test.

He had to retake the test.
Funny story! I do not believe I have ever taken a test that did not penalize you for getting the wrong answer. But I guess that is why I do not understand it. Just answer one question and get a 100%. They should explain further on this point. Anyway in real life and your career you have to figure out answers to questions and problems. You can not just skip it and not be penalized. When you make wrong decisions in life or engineering decisions there are consequences. The philosophy of a test set up like this is not something I personally would agree with.

Well, I take that back. The old SAT format used to count wrong answers against you as a "guess penalty."

I could see how it would be beneficial if the PE exam was that way. It would prevent people from passing if they had to guess on too many questions.

They would need to set a base passing score, and each question would count towards the your total (not percentage based, but still use weighted questions). So even if you only answered 1 question, your total score would not be enough. Then, if you answered wrong, it would count negative (based on weight).

This would probably significantly drop pass rates.

Well shoot, as soon as I Google "distance protection infeed," and then "distance protection of mutli terminal transmission lines" I get tons of resources. NERC even has a paper with this is exact same scenario. None of my protection books cover this topic. Though, I don't have Blackburn's book on me at the moment, so he may or may not cover it.
Blackburn touches it in his book. However, I do not like the way he describes it. I think my explanation and pictures makes it easier to understand. But I will let you guys decide on that.

Back