Digital Cameras

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has a plastic housing... they haven't had any issues with it as of yet... Thankfully the guy notorious for dropping cameras into the rivers/streams retired a few years ago

Good to know, thanks.

I'm currently leaning more towards the XSi now than the T1i or the Nikon. I like the fact that the Canons have the LiveView capability with the LCD screen, and everything I'm reading on the HD video and additional MP's of the T1a doesn't justify the added expense, as the video capabilities are mediocre at best in terms of image stabilization, etc.

Good to know, thanks.
I'm currently leaning more towards the XSi now than the T1i or the Nikon. I like the fact that the Canons have the LiveView capability with the LCD screen, and everything I'm reading on the HD video and additional MP's of the T1a doesn't justify the added expense, as the video capabilities are mediocre at best in terms of image stabilization, etc.

One other thing about the D60... your image stabilization comment reminded me... That's another one of the comments the crew have had about it... It has yet to take a blurry picture... In fact one of the crew leaders sat in the UB-75 (reach-all,etc) bucket and waited for a few tri-axles to roll across the span and make the boom shake a good bit... still took a perfect picture....

Take note that the cost is not only on the main SLR camera. Your future investment comes in for the lens. Some lens are much more expensive than the main camera.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the XSi last night. Was a bit over $800 after shipping with the camera body, lens kit w/stabilization, tripod, spare battery, 16GB SDHC card, and travel case. There were just some sacrifices with the Nikon that I didn't want to make, and I really liked the way the Canon actually felt in my hands.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the XSi last night. Was a bit over $800 after shipping with the camera body, lens kit w/stabilization, tripod, spare battery, 16GB SDHC card, and travel case. There were just some sacrifices with the Nikon that I didn't want to make, and I really liked the way the Canon actually felt in my hands.
So how do you like the XSi? I just found a deal on one with a couple of lenses (18-55mm kit lens and 55mm-250mm EF-S lens) I couldn't pass up. Now I just have to wait for the thing to arrive to start playing with it. :)

So how do you like the XSi? I just found a deal on one with a couple of lenses (18-55mm kit lens and 55mm-250mm EF-S lens) I couldn't pass up. Now I just have to wait for the thing to arrive to start playing with it. :)

Love it! Easy interface, great battery life. The only downside I've noticed thus far is that the flash is notoriously slow for recharging between a string of shots, and the only other thing which MAY be possible that I'm not 100% sure about is whether it's possible to adjust aperture and shutter speed independently of one another. Other than that, it has performed flawlessly and I've taken some great shots with it. In fact, the picture of MIAF was taken with the XSi :D The 18-55 is a decent starter lens, MIAF has the 55-250 but I haven't tried it yet.

Love it! Easy interface, great battery life. The only downside I've noticed thus far is that the flash is notoriously slow for recharging between a string of shots, and the only other thing which MAY be possible that I'm not 100% sure about is whether it's possible to adjust aperture and shutter speed independently of one another. Other than that, it has performed flawlessly and I've taken some great shots with it. In fact, the picture of MIAF was taken with the XSi :D The 18-55 is a decent starter lens, MIAF has the 55-250 but I haven't tried it yet.
I ordered the 55-250 lens too. That was part of the deal, Canon was offering an instant rebate of $200 if you purchased the 55-250 lens with the XSi and the 18-55mm lens. I had planned on getting a 55-200mm lens with whatever camera I purchased anyway so this was a no brainer. I'm looking forward to fiddling with it, to bad I have to wait for it to show up (the downside of ordering online). I'll have to see if I can find subject material as interesting as yours to shoot.

I ordered the 55-250 lens too. That was part of the deal, Canon was offering an instant rebate of $200 if you purchased the 55-250 lens with the XSi and the 18-55mm lens. I had planned on getting a 55-200mm lens with whatever camera I purchased anyway so this was a no brainer. I'm looking forward to fiddling with it, to bad I have to wait for it to show up (the downside of ordering online). I'll have to see if I can find subject material as interesting as yours to shoot.

I've taken some random shots of downtown Gastonia, some cemetery photos, etc. I'll see if I can shrink them to manageable size and post a few.

...the only other thing which MAY be possible that I'm not 100% sure about is whether it's possible to adjust aperture and shutter speed independently of one another.
Does page 75 of the manual help answer this question? I don't have the camera yet so I can't try it out. I have been reading the manual on and off most of the morning. :tardbang:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300000933/EOS...-EOS450D_EN.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe so, though they do make one of those water resistant "armor" skins for it.

I got my...

Rebel XSi w/18-55mm kit lens,

50mm f/1.8 II Lens,

Remote Control,

8GB Memory Card, and

Gadget Bag

last night. I'm still waiting on the 55-250mm Lens (it's on backorder). I took some practice shots around the house, but didn't have anything exciting to photograph (like a MIAF). Then I started to read the instruction manual (I know, it's against the man code), and learned a lot about f-stops, shutter speeds, and ISO. Now I just need to practice and figure out which setting work well with each other.

I can see this hobby getting really, really expensive, especially given the prices of the nicer lenses.

I got my...

50mm f/1.8 II Lens,

Remote Control,

8GB Memory Card, and

Gadget Bag

last night. I'm still waiting on the 55-250mm Lens (it's on backorder). I took some practice shots around the house, but didn't have anything exciting to photograph (like a MIAF). Then I started to read the instruction manual (I know, it's against the man code), and learned a lot about f-stops, shutter speeds, and ISO. Now I just need to practice and figure out which setting work well with each other.

I can see this hobby getting really, really expensive, especially given the prices of the nicer lenses.

I've found that after a couple weeks of use, I can instinctively adjust most of that on the fly pretty close to perfect after one or two test shots. I've made a couple user-defined color modes, heavy on the saturation for outdoor shots like flowers, etc. I can get a good idea of where I want my ISO speed depending on how much light I have, same with the shutter speed and aperture. I find myself adjusting shutter speed most of all. When you get that 250 lens and zoom in, you'll realize how well the image stabilization really works. It's incredible.

I swear I will post some color photos soon. I just downloaded a ton off the camera, took over 2 hours since my laptop only has a USB 1.0 port. My laptop is finally taking a dump after 8 years, so I have a new Dell Desktop on the way.

I got my...

50mm f/1.8 II Lens,

Remote Control,

8GB Memory Card, and

Gadget Bag

hmmmmm...

...Rebel XSi with kit lens and the 55-250mm lens (which is on backorder) you say? Buy from Amazon?

I'm having a lot of fun with mine. I took over 700 pictures in the first week mostly just playing around with the different settings and seeing what everything did. Sadly I haven't used it much this week, I've been so swamped at work I just having had time.

Yes, this could become a very expensive hobby. How do you like that kit bag? I'm on the look out for a good deal on one. Currently I'm just using an one that I had from and old film SLR. It's only big enough for the camera and one lens so I'd like something a little bigger.

Here's some pics I took the first week though (the resolution of these is significantly reduced for web uploads).

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

Nice pictures. But I liked the sample picture (B&W) that Supe posted better. I don't think that had to do with the resolution, focus or photographic skill though.

hmmmmm...
...Rebel XSi with kit lens and the 55-250mm lens (which is on backorder) you say? Buy from Amazon?

I'm having a lot of fun with mine. I took over 700 pictures in the first week mostly just playing around with the different settings and seeing what everything did. Sadly I haven't used it much this week, I've been so swamped at work I just having had time.

Yes, this could become a very expensive hobby. How do you like that kit bag? I'm on the look out for a good deal on one. Currently I'm just using an one that I had from and old film SLR. It's only big enough for the camera and one lens so I'd like something a little bigger.
That kit bag is nice. It has all kinds of internal dividers that you can move around to set it up to meet your needs. It will hold the camera with 1 lens mounted, both of the other lenses, and still have a pretty big compartment open for accessories or another 2 lenses. Plus, it has a zippered pouch on the inside top, and two more on either side of the bag.

Yes, I did buy from Amazon, but don't tell Supe. He might not be happy when he finds out that we paid less for both the kit and the 55-250 than he did for just the kit. In fact, I probably got that 50mm lens thrown in for less than what he paid too.

Nice pictures. But I liked the sample picture (B&W) that Supe posted better. I don't think that had to do with the resolution, focus or photographic skill though.

Sorry, I'll have to stay on the lookout for better subject material.

Latest posts

Back