Did you pursue your PE even if it's not "needed" in your industry?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in the april ncees newsletter they have an article about thinking of making it a requirement for academia to have PE too. The whole practice what you preach stuff. They are the folks supposed tobe teaching the future PE what they need to know why aren't they held to the same standards.

in the april ncees newsletter they have an article about thinking of making it a requirement for academia to have PE too. The whole practice what you preach stuff. They are the folks supposed tobe teaching the future PE what they need to know why aren't they held to the same standards.
Because they're M-F'ing PhDs! That's like requiring an MD to get their PA license too.
This just supports DK's point about how much of a racket this accreditation is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need it but did it as a personal goal. I got a small lump sum of money after I passed in recognition for the accomplishment. I don't regret it even if I never actually have to stamp anything. It was an amazing goal to accomplish and I feel that it will help me land jobs and opportunities in the future.

It isn't "needed" anywhere. You get it because you don't want to be the bottom rung. My boss would be perfectly happy with me if I didn't get it, and he would be perfectly happy to pay me a reasonable but relatively low wage to produce CAD drawings under the direction of a PE. I'm taking it because I like my job to be more exciting than that.

"It isn't 'needed' anywhere"? Open up your own consulting business and start submitting plans for permits on your own and see how you do.......

My comment was meant more literally. No one "needs" to open their own consulting business, and no one "needs" to go after a promotion where the PE is expected. We choose to, for a variety of reasons.

Don't believe those who say you don't need it. I listened to those advice...and i wasted a couple years of my life....10+ years after graduation, I decided to take my FE exam.....and I just recently approved to take Oct 13 exam..

Take it as early as possible

I don't "need" the PE, but I did need the FE in order to get my P. Eng. (I have a B. Tech. (EE) and gaining licensure is contingent on passing the FE first). When I finally got around to writing the FE in October 2012, it just felt like I had started something and was leaving it unfinished. Therefore, obtaining my PE license became a focus in order to fully close out that chapter....okay, maybe a little OCD in there somewhere :wacko: . At the end of the day, I'm glad I followed through though, nothing wrong with having licenses in Canada and the US! :D

Because they're M-F'ing PhDs! That's like requiring an MD to get their PA license too.
This just supports DK's point about how much of a racket this accreditation is.
I don't think I agree with this. I had some professors that had their PhDs and I'm not so sure they could pass the PE test. Book smart but not at all good at functioning under pressure.

The really good professors had the PhD, P.E. on their business cards, operated in the private sector and could speak to how theory related to the real world... these are the guys that motivated students to stick with it because they could make a class interesting.

It was mostly a personal goal for me, I didn't need it. But besides personal satisfaction, it has been worth it in other areas too.

- It is a confidence booster. Getting a license is a long process that requires a lot of effort and knowledge. Finding out you passed is a great feeling and it confirms that you really are a capable engineer.

- It also commands respect. I'm a hard worker and my co-workers could see that, but I definitely noticed more respect from others after they saw those two letters after my name.

- It opens more doors. When it came time to start looking for other jobs, I got way more interviews and offers than my peers.

I did it for the same reasons you stated here. It's not a professional requirement in my industry (defense / aerospace).

Regarding the last point for opening more doors... did you find this occured naturally or did you actively target positions desiring/requiring a PE?

I think we can all find anecdotes to support our view. There are competent non-licensed engineers and vice versa.

However, the historical reason for licensure, which is to protect the public from harm due to shoddy engineering, is still a social need that exists today.

Regarding the last point for opening more doors... did you find this occured naturally or did you actively target positions desiring/requiring a PE?

I didn't apply to any positions that required a PE (several said "PE preferred" though).

So at the minimum, it gives me an advantage over similar candidates who don't have a PE. And of course it's one less thing to worry about if I wasnt a job that does require it.

Back