Design for tension members (Steel)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmehta

Reaction score
I was going through the AISC (13th edition) Tension design when I came across the topic: "Tension design for Pin connected members".

Where does this design criteria apply. I have never used that critiria and wanted to know whether it is something to be used for webs of the truss which are pin connected or is there a particular example where it can be used.

Thanks,

You can design a truss with an actual physical pin connection, such as where a web members end can consist of a forked clevis that is connected to a plate with a pin, or single bolt. A good example would be if you have ever seen a large crane put together, the box truss sections are usually connected together with four pins. The design criteria is for the spigot or clevis. I think there is a picture in the commentary showing the dimensional requirements.

You can design a truss with an actual physical pin connection, such as where a web members end can consist of a forked clevis that is connected to a plate with a pin, or single bolt. A good example would be if you have ever seen a large crane put together, the box truss sections are usually connected together with four pins. The design criteria is for the spigot or clevis. I think there is a picture in the commentary showing the dimensional requirements.
Thank you. Yes I did see the picture in commentary.

Back