Demand topics and bus definitions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabert

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking on here the last 6 months buying up all the used textbooks and sample exams I could afford. I am prepping for the October PE in power, and everything is coming along pretty well... Except for a few "fringe type" topics...

In the spin-up practice exams, there are several questions related to bus definitions (slack, load, generation, and swing). In all of my references, I can't seem to find a solid definition of all of them. Does anyone have a good resource that covers this?

Also - energy demand, demand factor, capacity factors seem to elude me as well. Any suggestions on what to bring to cover these topics as well?

Any decent power system analysis book should have these definitions. I used "Power System Analysis" by Grainger. You can also look online for the information, for instance, any university/college with a power system class should have this information.

Jabert..those are important topics and may be a few concenpt questions about either on the exam....I do have the grainger book mentioned above for sale for $50..cant remember how good it covers the subjects but I do know its one of the most popular books mentioned on this forum

Thanks for responses... I have the grainger book but don't see any references... I did find in another book, handbook of electric power calculations by Beaty and an online reference.. Not a complicated subject apparently - in case someone else has trouble in the future:

Generator bus - naturally, connected to generators. Voltage and real power are known. Voltage is kept constant by varying exciting current in the generator

Load bus - load connected to this bus - real and reactive power is known, voltage varies.

Swing/slack bus - generator bus whose voltage serves as the reference for all other buses in the system (1 p.u.), real and reactive power is not controlled.

Online reference is http://www.ee.lamar.edu/gleb/power/Lecture%2011%20-%20Power-flow%20studies.ppt

Also, I think they are some practice problems on this topic in the spin-up or CI exams that will help you some...and there is alsoa question or two related to it in NCEES exam

Back