DC Component in SC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruzy

Reaction score
Do you think we will need to include the DC component in any fault calculations? I don't exactly have the grasp on this concept as it is, but a couple of my books discuss it. I think that you use include it for subtransient calculations only, which the exam could very well have, but I haven't seen any implementation of this in any of the NCEES samples. One of my books included it in their solution, but that was the first time I saw that.

Should I even bother learning this, or is the DC component not going to be involved in our calculations for test purposes?

Hopefully I'm not too far off my base here, but my emphasis for study topics has gone "can this problem be solved in 3-4 normally written lines?"

If you can solve a DC component short circuit problem in a few steps, then I'd say it's fair game. If you have to do some crazy mathematical acrobatics, then no, I seriously doubt it'll appear. That said, nothing I've gone over has had it.

Closest I've gotten is a diode problem with a rectified sine wave and DC offset. Going RMS with that requires square root of an integral function, and it was rather ugly.

In my book, they just multiplied the fault contribution current (one from the generator, one from the infinite bus) each by sqrt 2 to get the dc contribution and then the total Isc = sqrt (fault current^2 + dc contribution^2). So no complicated math, but I still don't get it.

Back