Day Before Exam Preparation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's you guys opinion on sleeping pills? A friend of mind told me to avoid it as it makes you feel "groggy" or really tired the next morning. But is that better than no sleep at all? If I take this exam again, I definitely need to find a way to sleep. Any tips for getting a good nights rest guys? Thanks.
I find a glass (or 3) of red wine helps put me to sleep just as well as NyQuil. I also make sure to drink a big glass of water right before bed to keep from getting a headache.

When I find myself laying in bed for more than 20 minutes, I get up for an hour and read or watch tv and then try again. Laying there alone with my thoughts only makes me more anxious and less likely to be able to fall asleep.

Because I'm a woman, there is no line to the bathroom at the exam and I'm happy to wait till the end of each section.
That must be nice.

We had about 75-80 people at the site, and about 5 were women.
I was actually surprised by the amount of women taking the test at my location. I don't think it was more than, say, 25 percent, but there were dozens at least. I'm glad they're out there, but I'm not sure why there are so few doing electronics engineering (I've only worked with 1 out of about 100 co-workers).

Little late but this thread will come back in a few months.... Went Elk hunting the week before exam...didn't even touch a book the whole week. I went into the exam completely refreshed...relied on experience and the three months of studying for the exam. I am a first time test taker so anything is possible, but I left the exam pretty happy and not mentally drained...hope it was a good strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait - we don't have enough information here. Did you kill an elk, or not?

This may provide important information for our studies, depending on whether you passed the exam or not.

day before:

I played with my kids. Then did a dry run to the test site at night. Security guard was nice enough to letm me into the building, and I saw nice, big tables to take the test. That was a confidence builder. Then I read the instructions, they said no loose papers. All my references were clipped togeather. So I went to wall mat (open unti midnight) but they didn't have any hole punches or heavy duty satplers. Then I went to wall greens (open 24 hours) went home and started punching.

I bought a bunch of protein bars and a 5 hour energy extra strength, and a big bottle of water.

My testing site was in the university cafeteria (NJIT), after a rocky morning I had a great lunch (tuna wrap) and relaxed. I'm convinced that is what gave me the strength to knock the afternoon out of the park.

Anyway, just relax the day before.

Wait - we don't have enough information here. Did you kill an elk, or not?
This may provide important information for our studies, depending on whether you passed the exam or not.
No elk, failed.

Back