Cut Score revealed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also an engineer's responsibility to limit the use of his PE to only the experience he has.  I have been construction management almost my entire career.  I have no business stamping a bridge design.  
True.  If a bridge design fails, the first heads to roll will be the engineers who stamped the original design and any change orders.  Regardless of the ethical responsibility to the public, it's just not smart to put your name and professional future on the line for something you can't stand behind.  That being said, the bridge design engineer would probably be laughed off the job site if he tried to manage the construction of his bridge.  I'm glad we have different tests that try to emphasize our unique skill sets.

Back to the original post, I think releasing the cut score for passers would create a direct correlation between engineering ability and test taking ability.  Some really bright engineers just don't test well...

You can design all you want before you get your PE.  You just can't stamp it.

1 hour ago, Dexman PE PMP said: The main reason for not releasing passing scores is to further reinforce the "competent to be an engineer" line they hold to and to prevent unnecessary competition between engineers.  Someone who passed with a 70% has a PE worth just as much as an engineer who passed with a 99%.
Agree. Think of what an attorney would do with this in a courtroom. "Well, the expert for the prosecution only scored a 71 on their PE exam while our expert for the defense scored and 87! Clearly, our expert is better than theirs!"
I've had the unpleasant experience of being in a court room for probably a dozen engineering related lawsuits and usually what the defense will claim is their experts years of experience and generally a high-level position they held in their former life before they sold out and became a scum sucking defense attorneys expert witness after retirement (usually from some government position)

I know that I barely passed, and I know this because after the morning session, I picked the easiest 20 in the PM and then left the rest blank..
That's awful ballsy

I know I passed because of some guesses. I remembered a few in detail that I guessed on when I left the test, so looked them up when I got home. At least one I got right for the wrong reasons. I didn't know what they meant by blahblahblah, so I made up my own definition and solved the problem with my made up definition. The correct definition led to the same answer, but the reason was wildly different.

That's basically why I want to know my score... did I pass because of a couple really lucky guesses, or because I actually know what I'm doing? If I scored high then I'd feel a lot more confident in my abilities, and if I scored low I'd know to continue second guessing myself on everything I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I passed because of some guesses. I remembered a few in detail that I guessed on when I left the test, so looked them up when I got home. At least one I got right for the wrong reasons. I didn't know what they meant by blahblahblah, so I made up my own definition and solved the problem with my made up definition. The correct definition led to the same answer, but the reason was wildly different.

That's basically why I want to know my score... did I pass because of a couple really lucky guesses, or because I actually know what I'm doing? If I scored high then I'd feel a lot more confident in my abilities, and if I scored low I'd know to continue second guessing myself on everything I do.
Why do you care ? You passed . Don't worry about it anymore.

Why do you care ? You passed . Don't worry about it anymore.
I'm not worried, but I am curious. I'm still curious about how I did on the FE... I know I blew it out of the water, but it'd be interesting to know my actual score.

I'm not worried, but I am curious. I'm still curious about how I did on the FE... I know I blew it out of the water, but it'd be interesting to know my actual score.
I feel the same way too. Even though I passed the PE, I know I didn't get 100% on it. There are still a couple problems that are bothering me and I want to know how to solve them. I guess it's that natural curiosity that first got me interested in engineering.

And whilst on the topic of bridge design - No PE candidate should be designing anything between the time they sit for the exam and get their results. They should be declared mentally unstable to do any meaningful, let alone critical work.
Tell that to my boss.

I feel the same way too. Even though I passed the PE, I know I didn't get 100% on it. There are still a couple problems that are bothering me and I want to know how to solve them. I guess it's that natural curiosity that first got me interested in engineering.
I am with you on this as well. But, it will still be a guess that you lost points because of those doubful questions. You may have points for silly mistakes on the questions you thought were correct, the doubful questions may have not been scored at all or you may have accidentally did them right, and so on. Whatever it is, I am in for getting the raw score for my own satisfaction. 

I give a hoot if it was really 100, 70, or 69.5/ I passed and that is the end of it. For all that matters I got a perfect score. That is my story and am sticking to it.

On the other hand, I should have known better before starting this kind of thread. It was with the intention of making it funny and sarcastic at the same time. But I have no sense of humor and it is showing.

I give a hoot if it was really 100, 70, or 69.5/ I passed and that is the end of it. For all that matters I got a perfect score. That is my story and am sticking to it.

On the other hand, I should have known better before starting this kind of thread. It was with the intention of making it funny and sarcastic at the same time. But I have no sense of humor and it is showing.
Yes, no one will ask you if you passed what your score was . Now if you failed, it is a different story.

Back