Cross-discipline PEs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you take the PE exam in the same branch of engineering as your degree was in? (eg., a BS in Civ

• Yes - same as degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I crossed disciplines

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
This has come up in a separate thread by tucents, and I don't want to take away from that or duplicate it, but rather get an idea of the percentage of people who have taken (or are taking) the PE exam in a branch of engineering that is different than their college degree(s).

So just answer the poll question and post any comments here that you feel may not have been addressed on tucent's original post.

Please feel free to answer the poll even if you haven't taken the PE exam yet, but are planning to at some point in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
BS in Metallurgy, work in Acoustics, EE PE exam - I don't know if I've crossed the line, but I've wandered a bit. :thumbs:

I guess I don't fit into either catagory well:

BS Chem E - 1987

MS Elec E - 1997

FE Chem E - 2005

PE Elec E - 2005

You read correctly; I jumped around a bit. The main reason was that I looked at the sample material and decided that the Chem E afternoon section of the FE exam would be easier than the general or EE afternoon. I followed the same reasoning with the PE exam. Electrical Engineering appeared easier than Chem E. Perhaps I need to go see the shrink...

Freon, P.E.

I got both degrees and my license in envl.

I work in private consulting doing site design/land development. There are envl aspects to it, but it's not hardcore water, wastewater, air, haz wastes kinda stuff I learned in school.

I've wandered a bit too I guess.

I took the Environmental PE. My under grad is a ChemE and I have a MS in Environmental. I was lucky that Illinois offers an environmental PE otherwise the Civil with Environmental Depth would have been a lot harder.

same overall degree, due to me working full time my last 1.5 years of school I took any elective I could so I eneded up with a lot of survey electives (due to more of those classes being offered at night) which helped me a little more on the curve problems on the test , but hurt me because I only took 1 "traffic" class while in school.

BS in Metallurgy, work in Acoustics, EE PE exam - I don't know if I've crossed the line, but I've wandered a bit. :thumbs:

Guess you could say the same for me. B.S. in Geological Engineering (curently GLE specifc exam not available) , work mostly as a geotech, so got the PE in Civil Engineering.

I know other GLE's that went for the mining PE.

My degree is Bioengineering. I've passed the Electrical and Mechanical PE exams. Once you know one engineering, you know them all...sort of.

My degree is ME and I passed the Env. PE exam. The reason I am interested in this subject is because my application to take the PE exam was denied in 2001 on the sole basis of my degree not matching the branch of engineering I wanted to take the PE exam in. Our licensing law was amended a lttle over a year ago to allow it, so I was finally able to take the exam. I always thought that was a little strange - it was as if a person's work experience was meaningless.

The guy who sat next to me at the exam was a geologist and took the Env PE.

I've heard of engineers qualifying to take the professional geologist exam, but have not heard of anyone doing it the other way around. I thought one of the prereqs for taking the P.E. was a 4 year engineering degree from an ABET accredited university. I wonder if he got around that with experience, or some other combination of qualifications. At any rate, more power to him.

BS in Engineering Science. I passed the Electrical PE exam.

I've heard of engineers qualifying to take the professional geologist exam, but have not heard of anyone doing it the other way around. I thought one of the prereqs for taking the P.E. was a 4 year engineering degree from an ABET accredited university. I wonder if he got around that with experience, or some other combination of qualifications. At any rate, more power to him.
In some (all?) states, you can sit for the exam with enough experience, even if you don't have an engineering degree.

I didn't swap life stories with the guy, just some nervous chat before the exam started. He said he had a geology background and the Envl PE was the closest one to his knowledge base.

BS in Engineering Science. I passed the Electrical PE exam.In some (all?) states, you can sit for the exam with enough experience, even if you don't have an engineering degree.
Texas can take PE test after enough qualifying experience even if don't have an Engineering Degree.

Did not cross...

BS ChE

PE ChE

Experience in ChE & Instrumentation & Controls

I took the Environmental PE. My under grad is a ChemE and I have a MS in Environmental.
Same here.

I didn't take the ChE PE test because I don't remember too much stuff from thermo, heat & mass, fluids, distillation, etc. Plus my current job is in Environmental field.

Back