Critical Gap for turns

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny911

Reaction score
I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. If they give a specific vehicle like a car or single truck for example, I would use the green book but if the question just says a vehicle I use the HCM? This is for a problem that states you would be on a minor street and turning left to a 4 line highway with a median and you are stopped at a stop sign.

Can you please post the whole question? (without the answer) Thanks.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. If they give a specific vehicle like a car or single truck for example, I would use the green book but if the question just says a vehicle I use the HCM? This is for a problem that states you would be on a minor street and turning left to a 4 line highway with a median and you are stopped at a stop sign.
Questions that are 'code reliant' usually have the appropriate code referenced at the bottom of the question, particularly if there are two (possibly conflicting) sources. In this case, both the HCM and the Green Book have provisions about gap acceptance at intersections - so use whichever one the question cites.

HCM ch.17 (I think). I don't have book with me, but shoot me e-mail at [email protected] if you wouldn't find this info. HCM have good explanation how to do it. I would be able to tell you exact page when at home.

Back