Crane for the PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not have Crane for the PE and don't think I would have used it if I had it. Stick to references you are intimately familiar with and you will be fine.

I had it and it saved me time on pumping/fluids problmes so I had time to mull over chemical reaction problems. The crane equations are sort of user ready equations, as with any PE question you have to be careful of units but I though the crane was very useful. I was also able to pull some direct answers out of perrys using the index, I think I found 3 or so questions that they just straight up copied out of perrys and if I can find it in the index its an easy point in less than 1 min.

Also for chemical reaction questions I would get octave levenspiel, I did not have it for the exam but ordered it right after sitting and it had alot of equations I could have used.

I did not have Crane for the PE and don't think I would have used it if I had it. Stick to references you are intimately familiar with and you will be fine.
I agree with Cbus. At this stage in the game stick to the references you are comfortable with. Spending lots of $ on books you didn't fully study with and might not ever use again isn't really worth it.

I agree with Cbus. At this stage in the game stick to the references you are comfortable with. Spending lots of $ on books you didn't fully study with and might not ever use again isn't really worth it.
Thats a good point, I had used crane for 4 years before sitting for the exam so it made sense.

I use Cranes just about every week at work so I plan on bringing it with me. Ive found that the appendices of the book are very good, but I probably wouldnt use it to reference formulas.

I brought Cranes to the PE and used it a couple times to look up some velocities for pipe flow. The ChERM has the same table, but I had it tabbed in Cranes and knew exactly where to look so it saved me a minute or so over the ChERM and about 4 minutes over calculating the velocities manually.

Back